Can you tell me what I got?

DanB93

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Hello, I have a 93 LX convertible. I know I have 6 speakers and an amp under the passenger seat. What I would like to know is what are the speakers in the dash, are they tweeters for the door speakers? If I was going to replace the system do I need and amp that will be for 6 speakers or what? Is the amp worth keeping and just replace the head unit and speakers? If I was going to put in a small sub, what would be safe for the rear glass window?
Thanks for reading this.

• Sponsors (?)

Hello, I have a 93 LX convertible. I know I have 6 speakers and an amp under the passenger seat. What I would like to know is what are the speakers in the dash, are they tweeters for the door speakers? If I was going to replace the system do I need and amp that will be for 6 speakers or what? Is the amp worth keeping and just replace the head unit and speakers? If I was going to put in a small sub, what would be safe for the rear glass window?
Thanks for reading this.

You might have a JBL system. if you do plan on chaging the head unit you will have to rewire the system. You can always run speaker wire from the headunit to the out puts of the amp. That is basically bypassing the amp. Or you may want to get another amp, because after market radio's are meant to run only 4 speakers. It would be better to run the speakers off an external amp.Just run the speaker wires from the out puts of the amp to the new external amp. Now about the sub ... If you want to keep the factory radio you will need a High-Low converter to convert the speaker signal to a rca signal.

The best way to upgrade your sound is to gut everything. You can add just a new deck and use the stock speakers, but you won't get much improvement in sound. The dash speakers are 3.5", the doors are 6" and the rears are 5x7". When I put new speakers in the Foxbodies, I use 6" seperates in the front, installing the tweeters in the dash location and the 6" midrange in the door, and then get a matching set of 5x7 coaxials for the rear. If you get a new deck and bypass the factory amp you will have much better sound. As far as woofers you are limited because of the size of the trunk. I would recommend a single 10" sub in a sealed box, and then get the biggest amp you can afford. The more power you have the better and louder the music will be. You dont need to worry about the rear window, no amount of bass in that small trunk will harm it. I would start with a new deck, amp bypass, and at least new front speakers, then go from there.