Can't remove front bumper cover?

mustang20010

Nov 2, 2003
Okay, I realize this sounds like a stupid question, but here' my deal. I just got a new Cobra bumper and before having it painted, I figured it'd be a good idea to test fit it. So I did. It fit nicely, and all I did was just drop two bolts through the top holes (which are ultimately riveted) to temporarily hold it in place, though they weren't really needed...

Anyway, now that I'm done checking it out, I can't get the freaking thing back off! It's frustrating the heck outta me cause I can't figure out what the deal is. I already broke one of my headlights (stupid f-ing plastic nuts!) and I really don't want to break anything else. The new bumper is of considerably higher quality than my old one, which literally came right off after drilling out the two top rivets, and offing the 2 nuts on each side.

This new one has like 3 flat "fingers" that slide underneath the headlights, and it seems like that's where it's catching, but I can't figure out what I need to do to get the stupid thing off - without resulting to brute force cybernetics and breaking it.

This has got to be something super easy that I'm missing... right? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The center of the 3 fingers for the headlight panel is where it is catching. Mine did the same thing. I tried to pull if off with brute force too, but it did not want to come out.

I eventually pulled the headlight panel and the bumper cover off as a unit and proceeded to fenagle it off - i ground off the barb that hooked into the headlight panel. it will still hold fine with the rest of the fasteners. New edge cars don't have that barb!

Wow thank you so much! I think I probably would've ended up breaking something via the brute force method. I just couldn't figure out how the old one practically fell right off and this one was stuck on so good.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!