Car cranks but wont start

stevesLX

Nov 12, 2006
cincinnati
O.K. so today I decided to to move 4 hot wires which are for my nitrous stuff from the positive post of the battery to the one side of the solinoid where everything else is. I then took 2 ground wires off my negative post of the battery and grounded those to the chasis. I go to start the car and it just cranks. So I look to make sure everything is hooked up and I find no loose wires anywhere other than ones that have always been disconnected. So I turn the key forward again and I realize my fuel pump isn't kicking on. So I pull the relay under the drvs seat for the fuel pump and bypass it to see if it will kick on and it does. So I go over to the relay for the computer under the dash and start tapping it with a screwdriver while the key is turned forward and that did nothing. I checked the voltage on what I beleive is the power wire to that relay with the key turned forward and I am getting no voltage. The wire I checked was a 10 ga orange and black wire. I also did the same up on the silinoid and I have voltage up there. But for some strange reason my fuel pump will not kick on. I went out and bought another silinoid tonight and that did nothing either. I need some help here guys. I couldn't even begin to tell you what wires are what on the silenoid so I really don't even know where to begin. Also I did have the battery disconnected when I moved the wireing from it to the silenoid.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I got up this morning and I tried to jumper the fuel pump test point to ground and The pump wont kick on with the key on or off. But if I go back and jumper the fuel pump relay under the drvs seat it will kick on. I am clueless here. The car is an 89 LX. The harness in it I have no idea if its a 89 or not. I know theres like 6 or 7 fusible links on that silenoid and 4 of them are all tied into the same ring terminal. It looks like whatever those go to was done from the manufacture. I have 12 volts at the fuel pump relay. The relay at the ECC has no power on any contacts with the key on. I need help please.

Well I got up this morning and I tried to jumper the fuel pump test point to ground and The pump wont kick on with the key on or off. But if I go back and jumper the fuel pump relay under the drvs seat it will kick on. I am clueless here. The car is an 89 LX. The harness in it I have no idea if its a 89 or not. I know theres like 6 or 7 fusible links on that silenoid and 4 of them are all tied into the same ring terminal. It looks like whatever those go to was done from the manufacture. I have 12 volts at the fuel pump relay. The relay at the ECC has no power on any contacts with the key on. If I have a fusible link blown how can you tell its blown? As far as I can tell mine all look fine. I need help please.

Starter solenoid wiring 86-91 model cars
attachment.php

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 model cars.
attachment.php

Be sure that you did not disconnect or loosen the computer power ground. The computer has its own dedicated power ground that
comes off the ground pigtail on the battery ground wire. Due to
it's proximity to the battery, it may become corroded by acid
fumes from the battery. It is a black cylinder about 2 1/2" long
by 1" diameter with a black/lt green wire. You'll find it up next to
the starter solenoid where the wire goes into the wiring harness

EDIT: Jrichker posted while I pecked.

Check the dark-blue colored wire off the solenoid.

For fusible links, they tend to get soft/gooey or blister when they let go. Continuity checks might or might not reveal a bad one.