Car is bucking at cruise, any ideas?????

Fastime331

Founding Member
Dec 23, 2001
St. Petersburg Fl.
Car is bucking at cruise, any ideas?????

New 02 sensors, plugs, tps set correct, fuel filter etc.

I just installed a new MSD Billitech distributor and the car is now bucking at 5th gear cruise. The car ran fine before I added this thing is there ever something wrong internally with these things?

• Sponsors (?)

Your timing is off. My old 305 T-5 Camaro used to do the same thing. I tried port and manifold vaccum thinking that was the problem, and it turned out to be a timing issue.

Have you checked it since the dizzy install?

NYC LSC said:
Your timing is off. My old 305 T-5 Camaro used to do the same thing. I tried port and manifold vaccum thinking that was the problem, and it turned out to be a timing issue.

Have you checked it since the dizzy install?

Of course yes, So in other words it's probably the distributor acting up...

I'm going to swap back the stocker and see what that does. :rolleyes:

This may not be your problem but it could be related. Ever since i built my motor i always ran the egr vacuum directly from the intake. I had a part throttle miss and blipping the throttle from a dead stop would result in it spettering and then revving.

I rerouted my egr vacuum to the original spot and it is like a whole different car now. I can cruise at 1500 in 5th with absolutely no miss or buck at all.

Fastime331 said:
The car ran fine before I added this thing is there ever something wrong internally with these things?
Could be. I had similar problems, though usually when hot and coming to a stop, but also had bucking at cruise at times. Brand new MSD, and guess what? It had a bad pickup coil inside the distributor. If it's less than a year old, still under warranty, contact MSD through their website and have it sent in for a rebuild. That's what I did, and never had a problem since.

Notch Rocket said:
Could be. I had similar problems, though usually when hot and coming to a stop, but also had bucking at cruise at times. Brand new MSD, and guess what? It had a bad pickup coil inside the distributor. If it's less than a year old, still under warranty, contact MSD through their website and have it sent in for a rebuild. That's what I did, and never had a problem since.

--Exactly my issue! Dosen't do it until it's all warmed up and of course it's hot here in Fla. That's what I'm thinking... This dist. is like out of the box new. The car was FINE before. All I did was put in this new MSD distributor and now this $hit.
Tonight I'll finally get a chance to go by my shop and swap out the two. I bet $$$ this new POS is causing all my probs.

Posted by itltrot - Today at 11:17 AM
i too had the surge demon and mine was a fuel pump that was losing pressure and causing the car to surge...it ran fine at an idle...just another suggestion

--My fuel pressure is rock steady according to the guage.

Posted by wrathchild - Today at 12:54 AM
This may not be your problem but it could be related. Ever since i built my motor i always ran the egr vacuum directly from the intake. I had a part throttle miss and blipping the throttle from a dead stop would result in it spettering and then revving.

I rerouted my egr vacuum to the original spot and it is like a whole different car now. I can cruise at 1500 in 5th with absolutely no miss or buck at all.

--Mine is still stock routed as well

Ok tough guy please enlighten us of the true nature of the surge demon.

From the classic "Surge Demon" thread of a few years back started by Goslo or Noslo I recall the surge demon as being an engine surge occuring at part throttle or cruise. I also recall this thread as being the longest thread ever on this board. Anybody else remember that thread?