Car is running rich?

logan1997

Jun 8, 2018
Fort Payne
So the previous owner of my 02 GT said there is an aftermarket cam installed on the car, but he never got it tuned. Thus, it runs rich and burns way too much gas. How do I go about getting it tuned? I'm new to cars, don't know much about them, so I probably couldn't do any DIY fix lol.

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on the cams. A good tune is handled through an individual with knowledge of the computer system in your car. Depending on where you live there may a reputable shop that can handle it but they would need to know at least the cam size. Another least desirable way is to go with what is called a "canned" tune. It is a handhald tuner that has your modifications adjusted in the tune and stored on a module that you plug into your cars OBDII port. Many of the Mustang parts sites have them.

Just wondering. Did the prior owner also install larger fuel injectors as well? It seems to me that larger fuel injectors is more likely to cause a chronic rich condition.

Also rule out an exhaust system leak.

As will as double check that the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS) intake vacuum reference line is connected and leak free.

Just wondering. Did the prior owner also install larger fuel injectors as well? It seems to me that larger fuel injectors is more likely to cause a chronic rich condition.
As will as double check that the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS) intake vacuum reference line is connected and leak free.
This.
An aftermarket cam should have zero affect on the cars tune. They probably installed new injectors or maybe a different MAF.

I'm not sure if he installed larger fuel injectors, how do I go about checking that? Also, I went back and read our convo, he said the guy before him said it was a "custom grind cam."