Car Lost All Electricals.

98Mustang2017

May 3, 2017
ct
Replaced fuel injectors, put car in "on" position... power and lights to the car.
Went to start it.. lost all power. Not even the click of the starter and not even a glimpse of light.
Battery has 12.6volts.All fuses in the fuse boxes are good.

So what happened? I've heard about fusible links could go bad? Was it just a coincidence that it was time for fusible link to be replaced the same time i replaced my injectors?

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on above.

To add check the grounds around the radiator core support PLUS the battery negative as it's bad about splitting.

Here's some more information on how to trouble shoot.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Test for +12 volts at the alternator main B+ terminal. Test for +12 volts at the battery junction box large terminal. If there's power at both locations then likely the fusible link is OK.

Here's another low tech method to test for a possible bad connection at the battery. Turn the head lights on. Are they bright? Now try the starter. Do they headlights dim or go out?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is this relay popped? The starter and my horn relay both look similar to this like the connection split open.
relayy.jpg

+1 on above.

Turn the head lights on. Are they bright? Now try the starter. Do they headlights dim or go out?

....."Here's another low tech method to test for a possible bad connection at the battery. Turn the head lights on. Are they bright? Now try the starter. Do they headlights dim or go out?"

Excellent thought. I've seen battery terminals so squirrely that they allowed headlights and other accessory loads to work normally, but the sudden surge of starter current went "bam", and then nothing else happened. Waited awhile, light loads worked again!

Keep them battery terminals and posts clean & lubricated, and TIGHT. imp

Reactions: 1 user
Here's another low tech method to test for a possible bad connection at the battery. Turn the head lights on. Are they bright? Now try the starter. Do they headlights dim or go out?
The lights don't even come on. 12.6volts of power coming out of the battery and not a single electrical turns on. Posts are really clean. cleaned grounds as well.

The lights don't even come on. 12.6volts of power coming out of the battery and not a single electrical turns on. Posts are really clean. cleaned grounds as well.
The headlights are powered from an "always on" circuit from the Battery junction box. IF the headlights don't come on this likely means there's no power in the BJB.

Voltage tests were given to help rule in/out a bad battery cable or fusible link. What were the results?