CAR STarts then Dies...What's up?

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Moved the stang out of the garage yesterday to do some sanding in the garage. Car backed out just fine...Today, I went to wash it, then when I started it back up, it ran for 5-6 seconds, then cut out. I tried again for a few more minutes and it would turn over.

I gave the battery a quick 1-hr charge..then tried again...Started up, ran a few seconds, then died.. then wouldnt turn over again.

What gives? :shrug:
RC

• Sponsors (?)

did you wash under the hood any?

I would start with the basics like checking the cap, plugs, wires, and TFI module for water damage if you did. Also take a length of 8ga wire and "jump" it from the block to chassis, block to batt., and batt. to chassis to see if one of those ground went out.

UPDATE: for the THIRD time...It started and ran for about 10 seconds then just DIED...It seems that when it sits for a short while, then it starts for about 10 seconds only ONCE, then just makes the "starting noise". It only actually starts and runs for a few seconds the FIRST time I crank it after it has been sitting.

Does the car alarm play a role in this in any way?

RC

It could if it has some kind of start protection on it.

Did you try a length of wire or even a jumper cable. When my block to chassis ground went it did this, just up and quit at a gas station. I had been seeing some funky-ness with the guages though.

Rob, after it does its little dance, it will crank (whir whir whir) but not actually start and run? I think so.

WHen it does this, check your FP and look for spark. If you have both, check for injector pulsing. Something's gotta pop up from all that.

If you have a starter kill on your alarm, the car will not even crank (it would be like if you try to start the car when it's in Drive). If someone wired in a kill switch for the fuel pump circuit, that could let it run for a few and crap its pants.

Good luck.

turbogt said:
My mass air came loose and did the exact same thing to me..
An electrical connection, the filter itself? :shrug: Reason I aske is that my MAF is down in the fender well.

Funny thing this morning...I got the car started and was able to pull it into the garage..THe idle was a tad bit more rough than normal, and I could smell the fuel...Based on this new info, The MAF does seem to be a fairly likely culprit....I cant check till Wed though...Any other suggestions?
Thanks
RC