Car turned off when I made a hard right turn tonight..

KBExperience

Jun 21, 2009
Houston
So today, I took the car out for a little fun, and I went to make a hard right turn, and the car shut off halfway in to the turn. The wheel wouldnt turn anymore, and if there had been a car at the light waiting to turn I woulda hit him.. any ideas guys?

• Sponsors (?)

Your car was born to run NASCAR (left turns only baby!).

How much fuel in the tank? Boosted application is going to need more fuel. Perphaps the fuel pump cavitated during the turn (low fuel uncovered the pick up). For boosted applications the fuel tank is to be kept at least 1/4 full at all times.

Did you have to reset the IFS in the trunk? Did you have any problems restarting?

How high did the RPM's get? If very high, what about alternator bush bounce from over speed?

sounds like a major electrical power loss. the fuel issue is pluasible but wouldve had enough in the line to get him thru the turn, sounds like he went thru the light and it mightve been "RED" but...check your grounds, has any engine bay work been done? take anything loose? dont bother with hot power (positive power), it will be a ground. the reason i say is if you lost positive power from tour batt. the car will run off the alt. so check the engine to batt. ground.

Today's cars need the battery to excite the alternator's field coil. The days of jump starting a car with a totally dead battery are over.

If the battery goes away, any load increase will collapse the field coil. Without the magnetic field in the stator, the alternator can not generate power.

Alternators from the old days had permanent magnet exciters. They were called self exciting. As such, they would generate current by simply spinning.

Today’s high output alternator does not have permanent magnet exciters. Instead rely on the battery. This makes the alternator more powerful and lighter but means a constant battery is required.

Bottom line is the bad battery is a plausible explanation for why a car could suddenly quit.

Just as others said, seems most likely to be electrical or fuel related. Trace any wires that re-routed, modified or otherwise replace and played with. Look for any breaks in the insulation and use electrical tape to cover it.

It could have also been fuel. If the baffles in your tank are broken loose, then it is actually pretty easy to uncover the fuel pick up, at which point you instantly loose fuel pressure. Again, was it under a 1/3 tank?

Were you able to start the car and get going again after the turn?

Hey pony.. Stop derailing my thread. I'm having a genuine problem with my car and need help.. And I don't want your childish bulls*it to get it shut down. :ban:
I think you have a bad ground somewhere.
Your battery could possibly be bad and need replacing.
The Ford Focus does the same thing as your mustang.
It would cut out half way in the middle of a turn.
Most of the time the battery and alternator was replaced by Ford
and that fixed the issue.

Do you have any of the IAC restriction mods in place? When I had one in the IAC muffler hose, my car would sometimes stall after thrashing on it a bit and making a sudden stop or turn.

Kyle, you can guess what I am going to blame as being the culprit with one of your recent mods.... I would bet 2 ritas on the house that it is causing your issue. I can use some adult beverages in the summer time!