Car Will NOT shut off!

What the hell? I turned off my ignition tonight and the daggummed thing kept running. I played with the key, in and out, jiggling it, punching the steering column and all!

I finally had to pull the MAF to get her to shut off. Ican take the key out with her running, and everything shuts down, but the Motor!

She'll start right up, but won't shut off when turning off the ignition

Please help

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a remote start or alarm system? It sounds as if one of the ignition switch wires is grounded out. I had this happen to me when I crossed some wires, I ended up with my ignition switch wired into my gauge lights... so the car wouldnt turn off until I turned the headlights off lol.

you'd need a wiring diagram or hope someone here has done one recently
I was sent a lot of diagrams for the Mach by a member on another forum :eek: it's a lot.

Okay. I took the column apart, removed the ignition switch and checked for any disconnected or pinched wires. None found.

Basically now, I have to remove the neg battery terminal to shut her off after the key is removed. Pain in the butt.

Here's a tech question.

Are there any relays I should be looking for or at for a seize? Fuel pump relays? It's obvious that fuel is still being fed to the motor.

And, attached is a video with sound. Ignore the video and listen to the "whine" that sounds as if something is powering up when the neg battery term is connected (Ignition is OFF) Turn up the sound.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ions folder/?action=view&current=100_0730.flv

Are there any relays I should be looking for or at for a seize?

no. for a diesel maybe but not here

the problem (more than likely) is the ignition switch is stuck in position II, run. you take the key out (position 0) but the faulty ignition switch is telling the car it's still in position II. that "whine" sounds like the fuel pump being primed

in the wiring diagram you'll want to look for a component with 15, 30, X somewhere near it, that's the ignition switch

do you have a multimeter or voltmeter?

I was sent a lot of diagrams for the Mach by a member on another forum :eek: it's a lot.

Okay. I took the column apart, removed the ignition switch and checked for any disconnected or pinched wires. None found.

Basically now, I have to remove the neg battery terminal to shut her off after the key is removed. Pain in the butt.

Disconnecting the battery should not kill the motor, it should continue to run off the voltage from the alternator. Your ignition switch IS ground out in some way, causing it to always be wired as if its in the "run" position.

Here's a tech question.

Are there any relays I should be looking for or at for a seize? Fuel pump relays? It's obvious that fuel is still being fed to the motor.

And, attached is a video with sound. Ignore the video and listen to the "whine" that sounds as if something is powering up when the neg battery term is connected (Ignition is OFF) Turn up the sound.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ions folder/?action=view&current=100_0730.flv

Fuel being forced into the engine isnt making it stay running, there are many other parameters like the ECU, COP, injectors, etc that must be running for the engine to run- meaning the ignition switch is still acting in "run".

The whining sound is your fuel pump priming, and the click/"tock" sound just before it is normal as well.

Look for two larger solid red wires running to your ignition switch, if you feel comfortable enough doing this- cutting/disconnecting them should kill the engine and verify that the switch is the problem.

Disconnecting the battery should not kill the motor, it should continue to run off the voltage from the alternator. Your ignition switch IS ground out in some way, causing it to always be wired as if its in the "run" position.
That what with the key out, ignition off and pulling the neg side of the battery - then she shuts down.

Look for two larger solid red wires running to your ignition switch, if you feel comfortable enough doing this- cutting/disconnecting them should kill the engine and verify that the switch is the problem.
She actually works now. Here's the confusing part.

It appears, I repeat; Appears that a single wire ran to the under dash fuse panel is connected to a Relay under the hood. This relay appears to be wired to the WP. Wierd as it sounds, I removed this wire from the fuse panel, and she turns off with the key now. :shrug: I ran her for a while to get up to operating temp to see if she would heat up since I moved the wire that appeared to go to the WP. All fine.

I placed this wire back into another fuse slot and started her back up. Then, she again turned off with the ignition.

I checked the neg battery terminal again, and NO more sounds when it's placed back onto the battery.

Friggin' wierd. Is it possible this was a fluke that the ignition began working again right when I pulled the wire?

I am going to post pics, hopefully tomorrow, of this wire and where it leads. I was advised by another forum that the WP sounds like it is wired wrong, so if it is, I hope to remedy that after the pics are posted.