Carb'd 5.0 To V6-t5 Input Shaft?

i have a carb'd '70s 302 to swap into my 98 v6 but was told the v6 t5 input shaft won't fit. I have a 5.0 bellhowsing along with 302 clutch/flywheel but not sure what year. Is it true I will need a different input shaft for the 98?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

To my knowledge you need to use a 95 v8 5.0 bell housing. The input shaft is longer on the 98 v6 to put the shifter in the correct location.

Ok, so i checked on the bellhousing...it has no "3.8" or "5.0" markings, but a part number that reads..." E6ZR-6394-AA" will this still work on the v6 t5 without needing an input shaft change???
Hate to tell you but that's a 79- 93 v8 bell housing. You will need a 95 5.0 bell housing. To my knowledge its the only one that will properly fit a sn95 body. The v6 or v8 trans with longer shaft will work.

The longer shaft will not work with the 79-93 bell in any application.

The shifter will be closer to the dash with the shorter shaft and bell. I honestly don't know if anyone has made it work.

Hate to tell you but that's a 79- 93 v8 bell housing. You will need a 95 5.0 bell housing. To my knowledge its the only one that will properly fit a sn95 body. The v6 or v8 trans with longer shaft will work.

The longer shaft will not work with the 79-93 bell in any application.

The shifter will be closer to the dash with the shorter shaft and bell. I honestly don't know if anyone has made it work.

ah crap...:doh:
Guess ill hafto find one then. Problem is around here, no one has ANY sn95 GT parts, even at the junkyards :nonono:
So now I have a complete 5.0...Fox bellhousing, Clutch-disk, pressure plate, and flywheel but no body for it all lol
IMG_0117.JPG

@GreeZdLighTNin thats a nice looking motor. [emoji106]

Wonder if anyone makes an adapter plate....?

The 94- 95 bellhousings are on eBay kinda cheap....they have vent holes in them with a big 5.0 cast into it. This one is at mpsautosalvage.com but its 249 bucks... Jeeeesh.
uploadfromtaptalk1469579892548.jpg

@GreeZdLighTNin thats a nice looking motor. [emoji106]

Wonder if anyone makes an adapter plate....?

The 94- 95 bellhousings are on eBay kinda cheap....they have vent holes in them with a big 5.0 cast into it. This one is at mpsautosalvage.com but its 249 bucks... Jeeeesh.
uploadfromtaptalk1469579892548.jpg

Yikes! Yah, little steep haha. Ill check ebay out. Yah, I need to replace valve cover and oil pan gaskets though...its leaking some...not much, but I might as well change them since it still out. Even have a mild .485 cam i could put in, but im not sure i want to dig that deep into the project until I know I can do the swap in the first place. :thinking:
Thanks for your help btw, @90sickfox

Everything will work well together. A bell housing is a small part to have to get.

What are you planning to do for ac....and power steering ?

What year is your 5.0 ?