Carbed or injected benefits?

I am leaning torward injected because that is all I have ever really worked with but this new engine is quickly becoming a reality and this is a big decision. What are the benefits of a carbed engine? or is injected the way to go.
I have heard that a carbed engine will require more tweeking... any truth?
The engine will be a 347 stroker N/A
with AFR 185s or 205s
looking to get 400+ out of it
I think since I am so used to injection I should stick with it and get some 36# injectors a 80mm maf and a 75mm TB
Would a set up like this bring in more air then a box intake or holly systemax II?:shrug:
http://www.cprparts.com/products/airfuel/spyder.html
I hate EGR valves and am convering to a fox TB set up so no need for elbow or egr adaptor info:)
Also what type of Fan's you guys think would keep this cool? Would an extra fan that I could turn on and off be good or should I go with a High cfm dual fan setup. I have also heard blackmagic fans are good.
Any other tip would be welcome as well
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ALWAYS go fuel injected when given the option. Think of it this way, how often do you want to drive the car? You're going to spend a hell of a lot of time tinkering with the car as it is, why worry about how it's running? Fuel injcetion is always going to be better running, simpler, make more power, and be more reliable. I know a guy who went carb'd on his 94 for years, and couldn't wait to get back to fuel injection. My 500hp 95 cobra gets 20mpg. 'nuff said? .........probably not, but it makes sense to me....

I was looking at the spyder intakes and was wondering does anyone have experience with them or similar products. How much better or worse are they from a holly systemax II or trickflow box R?
Also 36# should be enough right? or would 42#? im thinking 36# because it will be N/A
I know some people are going to say "might as well sc or turbo" but dont worry my next fox will have plenty of boost when I get around to it.:nice:
I also hear that spyders will kill the low end if your components (cam, rockers, and such) are not matched closely to the power range... and truth and would this just be an issue of tuning? or would part choice and the grinding of cam be limited? if so what choices would fit best?

it all depends on personal preference, carbed cars have more adjustability out of the box and detonation is slim to none...if you plan on going nitrous it is more cost effective than EFI....

like I said...my car is carbed and was EFI...just depends on taste and also if you have people that know how to teach you

Just stick to basic facts :D

A guy who knows how to tune a carb combo
and
A guy who knows how to tune a fi/pcm combo

You can get good power from each :nice:

Obviously ... one is with jets, metering rods, and other mechanical stuff
while the other
Is with a keyboard making pcm adjustments

Now ... Having experience with both methods ...

I'd say the fi/pcm setup is gonna be more stable about weather changes
not effecting it as much as the carb setup.

The thing I like about the newer technology is you have the ability
to tune and gather data with an easy all in one interface :banana:

Datalogging on an old school setup ... Well ... a bit more involved

Also ... If you are talking about a 94-95 Stang here
and
If you are not talking about a strip or race car only

I'd not go backwards to the old school carb setup :nono:

As for maximum WOT power :D

I would not feel comfortable making a blanket statement of fi always
making more WOT power. Just too many variables to consider IMHO

besides ... as the man said above ... more is involved than just WOT
when you talk about a car that sees the street ;)

As for keeping it cool :D

I see no reason why the OEM fan would not keep it cool :shrug:
that is ... as long as you consider these things .....

Better radiator
Lowering the pcm fan temp values
Ensuring all air dams are in place

Grady

Some more personal opinions here:

AFR 185s are going to be too small for a 347 (they were too small on my 331)

the spyder intakes may nor may not be to small. I wouldn't get an intake I was worried about velocity on unless I was building a car with forced induction. You're going to make an obscene amount of power with spyder intake.

1.Be careful with peaky power bands. They look good on the dyno, and you can brag about your numbers until a bolt-on car smokes you because he has a fat power band.

2. A super rediculous velocity killing intake setup for a 302 may be what the doctor ordered for your 347.

I think final 50 pretty much nailed it as far as the carb/EFI thing goes.

So the spyder intake is a good choice?
I was pretty set on afr 205s so that will probably be the case when that time comes.
For blocks I was looking at a Boss or bullitt block
The set up so far seems to be
fully forged 347
BOSS block
AFR 205s
1.6 RR
custom grind cam
spyder intake:shrug:
36# injectors
90mm MAF
75mm TB fox style
MSD distributor
Delete smog and egr
28oz balance
Any suggestions on hydrolic lifters?
T5 with new internals (not sure which any suggestions?):shrug:
Any clutches you guys like also?:shrug:
Not sure what size push rods?

I have to say, contrary to what has been said, FI will NEVER be more simple than a carb, and it doesn't always make more power, and a carb can be just as reliable as FI. I wish all the misinformation and assumptions about carbs would stop. People act like they're the worst thing to ever grace the automotive world. :nonono:

If you're more comfortable with FI and don't feel like learning about carbs, then you might want to go with FI. But you will save money, simplify things, and learn about something new with a carb. If you go carb and don't take the time to learn how to work it/tune it, you probably aren't going to be very happy, but they are not difficult to understand and work on.

If you're talking about pushrod length, that will need to be determined by you during the build up of the motor. Different combos will require different pushrods. I've heard decent things about G-Force T-5s. Astro Performance sells the same kit, too. To be honest though, I wouldn't (and didn't) even mess around with the T5. TKO for me.

2 things:

AFR 185s are not too small for a naturally aspirated 347
you typically don't get to choose the balance

i know 302s have 50oz balance. 351s have 28oz balance. not sure, but i think 331 and 347 are 50oz

i am looking forward to tuning my fairlane with a screwdriver. talk about straightforward ...

Do you carb guys have any web sites that I can read up on carbs. It might be a fun and new thing to try. However the weather in WI is not really consistant and I would have to tune it alot. So if anyone knows any places I can read up on how to intall, tune, run with a carb post them:nice: