Carbon Fiber trunk?

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ok well I was curious has anyone ever used a C/F trunk in there sn? I found a company who makes them for our cars on e-bay, price isnt too bad either and I would imagine hell of a lot lighter then the stock one. Of course I wouldnt leave it with the carbon fiber look I would just have it painted the same color as the car, just would like it for the weight savings. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-9...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad79ba937

• Sponsors (?)

Never seen one on a car. Build quality looks decent, and the price isn't too far off from a fiberglass one. Given how bad my stock trunk lid fits, I can't imagine it fitting any worse than that. To be honest with you, I don't think the stock trunk is that heavy. You'd be better off getting a carbon fiber hood, and shedding the weight on the front of th car where it's really an issue.

Kurt

what weight savings do you have done already that your now looking into carbon fiber?

Its not that I have run out of things. But I will not ruin the ride of this car by removing sound deadening materials and gutting stuff and so forth. Spending the cash on quality parts that will lighten the car is no problem to me. I have aluminum heads, no cats, no smog pump and all the piping and vacuum lines that go along with it, aluminum pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, fiberglass cobra R hood, aluminum flywheel on its way, no extra anything added to that car like system or anything just stock system, hotchkis rear upper and lower control arms. So I figured if it will fit correctly a C/F trunk lid will be a good addition, especially because nobody will be able to tell since it will just get painted the same color as the car anyway, not the C/F finish.

I'd just drop the same amount of weight that trunk lid would save you by just doing a rear seat delete. The back seat is useless in these cars to begin with, and you can make one yourself for about $50 or so.

The trunk most likely will not fit right, I have dealt with a carbon fiber windshield cowl project on my car and after spending $250 on the cowl, I still had a few weekends of time making it fit and mount correctly. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have even done it. Plus I am assuming you will want to paint the trunk, so there's some additional cost to add to the project.

I'd just drop the same amount of weight that trunk lid would save you by just doing a rear seat delete. The back seat is useless in these cars to begin with, and you can make one yourself for about $50 or so.

The trunk most likely will not fit right, I have dealt with a carbon fiber windshield cowl project on my car and after spending $250 on the cowl, I still had a few weekends of time making it fit and mount correctly. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have even done it. Plus I am assuming you will want to paint the trunk, so there's some additional cost to add to the project.

Seeing as this is the internet and when you write things they never come out how you want to say it, dont read this the wrong way, lol. I really do appreciate everyones input as always, :flag:. But I dont want to remove anything from the interior, anything that would change the driveability of the car, or anything that will change the great quality smoothness and quiet in the car. And money isnt really too much of an issue. I dont really want to do tubular k-member because I dont want any added NVH to the front of the car. Again this car drives spectacular only 30k miles on it. Just figured a few lighter parts here and there that are lighter would be nice:D. And if you have any pics of that carbon fiber cowl I would like to see it, sounds like it might look pretty cool.:flag:

Seeing as this is the internet and when you write things they never come out how you want to say it, dont read this the wrong way, lol. I really do appreciate everyones input as always, :flag:. But I dont want to remove anything from the interior, anything that would change the driveability of the car, or anything that will change the great quality smoothness and quiet in the car. And money isnt really too much of an issue. I dont really want to do tubular k-member because I dont want any added NVH to the front of the car. Again this car drives spectacular only 30k miles on it. Just figured a few lighter parts here and there that are lighter would be nice:D. And if you have any pics of that carbon fiber cowl I would like to see it, sounds like it might look pretty cool.:flag:

It's cool man. I just thought you were after some ways to drop some weight without "stripping" the car and didn't see a RSD on the list. It's a matter of personal preference on the looks of a RSD though.

I'll have some pics of the cowl once I get the car out of the garage, it's not running right now cuz I have a few things taken off it to get powdercoated and such, but I should get it out into daylight sometime in April. The lighting in the garage blows and it's hard to take pictures of carbon fiber with a flash, lol.

It's cool man. I just thought you were after some ways to drop some weight without "stripping" the car and didn't see a RSD on the list. It's a matter of personal preference on the looks of a RSD though.

I'll have some pics of the cowl once I get the car out of the garage, it's not running right now cuz I have a few things taken off it to get powdercoated and such, but I should get it out into daylight sometime in April. The lighting in the garage blows and it's hard to take pictures of carbon fiber with a flash, lol.

Well I would really like to see it when you get it together to see daylight:D. But yea I just really like the look of the cars stock interior. Just looking for the few other things that will take weight off without changing anything about the car too much. If I could get the stock spoiler in carbon fiber also I might do that.

did you relocate the battery to the trunk? that's not really changing the car just redistributing weight. I understand you want to keep the car smooth but just because a k-member is lighter doesn't necessarily mean it will enhance NVH. you can still get rubber bushings for everything.

The tubular K-member is weaker than the stock one though. And it is a lot of work to put in. Not that a trunk lid is that easy when you have to get it painted.

I agree on the rear seat delete. I don't see the point in removing the rear seat. I don't think there is a whole lot of weight shed by removing it, and the delete usually looks like crap. I don't consider those seats worthless. I sit in the back of my friend's Mustang all the time. Not to mention, there is a good chance the homemade delete isn't going to seal like the stock seats do, and then I would have to listen to that T-Rex fuel pump going all the time.

Kurt

I bought a carbon fiber trunk for my '95 and was really disappointed with the fit. Plus the company I bought it from wouldn't admit there was problem and I got screwed out of the money. About once every 6 months I think about putting it on and then remember the frustration from the three other times I tried.

Then why do high HP drag cars use K members?????

Because of the weight savings, and there aren't all kinds of potholes and stuff on a drag strip. I'm putting a tubular K-member on my car. You just have to recognize that you are giving up some strength for that weight savings. There was someone on here just posted about their tubular k-member breaking while pulling out of the driveway. Poorly maintained roads are far harder on the chassis of your car then a drag strip is.

Kurt

Because of the weight savings, and there aren't all kinds of potholes and stuff on a drag strip. I'm putting a tubular K-member on my car. You just have to recognize that you are giving up some strength for that weight savings. There was someone on here just posted about their tubular k-member breaking while pulling out of the driveway. Poorly maintained roads are far harder on the chassis of your car then a drag strip is.

Kurt

yeah no pot holes but your not lifting your front end on the street and dropping it back down onto the pavement either. I dont see how thats any less stress full then hitting a pot hole