Change Out Distributor Now The Oil Pump Not Working

One way

Jun 9, 2015
Hey guys I have a 1990 5.0 HO. I installed a new distributor it ran good for a day. Now the engine making noise, the oil gauge on 0. Could it be the oil pump went out are something to do with the distributor that was installed.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd guess a problem with the oil pump drive shaft is possible since the pump is driven off the distributor. I'd pull the distributor back out and see if the hex on the dive looks OK. There are differences between the 351w and 302 with the size of the shaft also. The 351w is a 5/16" hex and the 302 is 1/4", at least in the years I'm familiar with. Not sure if later ones changed or not. If you were trying to drive a smaller shaft with the larger distributor it would probably last a little while before it stripped out and created the conditions you are describing.

I will check it out when I get home. Do u think they sold me a different size distributor then the one I had. If that is my problem do I change to a longer shaft.

If you put a 5/16" dizzy over a 1/4" pump shaft there could be metal shavings in your block and have big problems. If the shaft is messed up you need to pull the oil pan to replace it. First things first, pull the distributor and double check all parts match and are in good working order.

You do have the distributor pushed all the way down over the shaft right? It can take a little effort to get the distributor pushed down all the way when the distributor gear comes in contact with the cam gear and get it seated onto the block.

Steel, brass, iron distributor gear on the new distributor? Is the distributor seated correctly on the oil pump shaft? Take the new distrinbutor out, take a long 1/4" exentsion taped to a long 1/4" socket and using a drill, spin the oil pump with the drill in reverse. See if the oil pressure gauge moves up.

Reactions: 1 user