Changing front speakers from Dash to Door

7upstang

Sep 20, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I would like to put some speakers in the doors of my Fox vert. Presently, the car has rear speakers and dash speakers. I have already replaced the rear speakers. My deck will only support 4 speakers and I will disconnect the dash speakers and use the speaker wire that is in the door to connect the new speakers. My question is this: What do I do with the wire from the dash speakers once they are disconnected/removed?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I want to do this correctly.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers

Alan

• Sponsors (?)

alan,
My advice is to go with a Component set up front put the tweeter in the dash the infinity kappa set or comp. will be great. its a 5 1/4 in your door the system will come with a cross over that you put the signal from your headunit into and it will have outputs for you tweeter and mid-low thats going in the door. it will give you great sound and will look right.

Thanks very much, But I have already purchased the speakers and they are two way speakers with a direction adjustable tweater. If I am just going to use 4 speakers without a seperate tweeter what do I do with tjhe speaker wire from the dash speakers. I am not too worried about the appearance, because the dash speaker covers will keep it looking factory.

Cheers and thanks again

speaker wire from the dash speaker? do you mean its getting power right now? if so cut the line and splice into the line that runs into your door spear and just leave the other ones in the dash, so you dont lose them? i hope i read you q correctly

The Front speakers have power and the rear speakers have power. The car came with wiring for door speakers but no speakers. The thing is, I think that the wire for the dash speaker and wire for the door speakers is the same wire and ford just ran them in sequence (i'm not sure on that though)

well if i were you, i would take the factory boot off when you have the panel out get a long screw driver tape some new speaker wire to it get it throught the boot with the screw driver (its easier than fishing by hand) thene you will know that you have a good wire, fish it up to where the dash speaker is and splice it into the speaker wire there, that way you will be powering the door speaker, does that make sense?

So I should ignore the wiring that is already there and run new wire to be on the safe side. I'm starting to think this is going to be a huge pain in the *ss.

I think I will hook up the speakers to the door wire, and while they're still not mounted, unhook the speakers to the dash and see if the door speakers work.

If they do, I'll simply leave the dash speakers unhooked and I should be good to go. I really don't want to run new wire if I don't have to, and I saw in a different post that somebody used the door wire that was already there and it worked fine. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what to do with the wires from the dash speakers once they were unhooked.

I just finished doing all this. the dash and the door seakers are on thhe same channel. I left my dash alone.( well, not really cus im doing a heater core) for the door wiring, all I did was go the the dealer and get the connectors that match up to the factory door speaker harness and wired them up to my door speakers DONE If you dont have the wiring diaghram here are the wire colors:LEFT FRONT +=orange/green stripe,LEFT FRONT-=light blue/white stripe,RIGHT FRONT+= white/green stripe and RIGHT FRONT-=green/orange stripe . one more thing for safety sake use the 51/4" speaker,I used the 6.5 ones and had a shorting issue due to the lack of clearance when the power windows are down. hope this helps.

Thanks for the help stangs4evr-roy, iskwezm, and strokedandblown. Sorry to not give you an update right away, but I was away for a week there and didn't have access to a computer. I will try adding the speakers (5 1/4s) with the Ford connectors and let you know how it turns out.

Cheers

One more question, The ford dealer here cannot find the part for the connector to hook up the door speakers. Does anybody know the ford part#?

Sorry to be such a pain.

Update.

I recently added the door speakers to my car and the left side works fine, but the right side door speaker wires don't seem to work. I am trying to figure out where the wiring for the door speakers originates so I can re run some new wire

I know that the mustang uses the same wires for the door speaker as the dash speaker. Do you know where they splice them or if they do. When I was looking yesterday, I had an Orange /green speaker wire and a white /light green wire in thedash speaker and the same colours for the door speaker. What I dont understand, is where they splice them or if they do. If I need to run new wire for the left door speaker, I need to know how to hook it up.
Any ideas?

the g/o and w/g wire come out right behind the glove box. from the HU RF speaker output run a speaker wire to where you find the wires comming into the car, cut the wire make sure you splice the lead that goes to the door not the lead that goes back to the fact. harness. hope that helps

Will do. Thanks. Is it bad for the head unit to run all 4 speakers off of the one channel?

I've heard that I will get more power from the door speakers if I don't run the dash speakers. My car is a convertible, so I basically suffer from a severe lack of bass response and I'm thinking the door speakers will be a lot warmer than the dash ones. But, I would like to get all six running just to try them out.

Cheers

You wont get any bass from the dash speakers,but you will miss the sound when the top is down,the door speakers are blocked by legs and arent even angled so they really dont even reach your ears.Just wire the dash speakers in series to the door, so the H/U will see a 8 ohm load and you shouldnt have a problem.

i'm wanting to add door speakers , i currently have a hatchback w/o premium sound but do have alpine 150 watt 5 1/4 rears , and Blaupunkt 3 1/2 dash 90 watt and a kenwood deck with a built in 45x4 amp. Do the doors already come with wiring and could i just get a crutchfield harness and plug it in w/o problems?