Changing Motor and Tranny mounts: How can I lift the engine to replace them?

FastGT94

Nov 20, 2003
NW Burbs, IL
I've got a set of Prothane mounts ready to go into my car but I'm trying to figure out a good way to lift the engine enough to change them out...

Obviously a hoist is the best method but I don't have one. What other methods are safe to lift the engine enough to change out the motor mounts?? I've searched and found a couple but I'd like to have other opinions. I've heard about the bell housing as well as the front of the oil pan using a 4x4 and floor jack. Should I loosen the tranny mount when changing the motor mounts?

Also what about changing the Tranny mount?

Any help, opinions, tips or experiences are appreciated.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

First lift the car and put it on jackstands. Loosen the 7/8"ths 22mm bolts that hold the motor to the K member. Put a board on the jack and lift from the front of the oil pan until the studs fromt he mounts clear the K member. Then unbolt the two 5/8ths 16mm bolts that secure the mounts to the block. Then attach the mounts to the block and lower into the K member and reattach the bolts. Then simply lift the tranny up a little and loosen the bolts and R/R the trans mount.

So the oil pan will hold and not dent in?

If I loosen all the nuts on the engine mounts slightly first will that be ok? Should I loosen the tranny mount when changing the motor mounts?

Thanks again!

FastGT94 said:
So the oil pan will hold and not dent in?

If I loosen all the nuts on the engine mounts slightly first will that be ok? Should I loosen the tranny mount when changing the motor mounts?

Thanks again!

That's what the 4x4 (or 2x4) wood block is for. This process works fine, just follow the directions. The pan is very strong and you don't have to worry about damaging it if you use the wood block.

Mark everything Left and Right when you take it off, as the new mounts may not be marked. The boxes the mounts come in are marked RH & LH, but the mounts may not be. They are very similar in appearance and it would be very easy to mix them up. Save the large nuts: the new mounts won't have them. Hopefully they are the same. Some nuts are metric & some are inch sizes

Pump the jack up way high – watch for clearance and slack in wiring, vacuum lines, etc, (the cat converters didn’t clear on my 89GT). Use some wood blocks between the headers/engine and the frame if you need to remove the jack.