Changing rear diff fluid...no friction mod needed with Mobil 1??

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I just finished replacing a leaking axle seal and am about to fill the rear end back up.

Since it's sunday, i can't get friction mod from Ford

However, i bought 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ($16 each) and it states that it already has the additive included.

So i can safely add it and not worry about the ford friction mod correct?

Just wanted to make sure before i started driving around.

I'm gonna go return the tools i needed for the axle seal and look for a pump and then tackle the fill

• Sponsors (?)

So i filled up my diff. I had the car on ramps so i went to the fill hole instead of slighly below it.

Should i go back and top it off after a few days? Won't the fluid flow into the axle tubes and the level slightly drop? Something i should be concerned with or not?

I only got about 1.5 quarts in before it came out of the hole.

Last time I changed diff fluid I swear it took just under 3 quarts. I got two full bottles in there and then the 3 one it started leaking out. Over filling it is just as bad as under filling it.

I was talking to a friend who was a ford tech. I asked him about the gear oil service interval since the owners manual says the axle is lubricated for life. He said its filled with ford synthetic gear lube and its like $30 a quart, and its much better then store bought lubes. 3 qts and 4 oz friction modifier.

Proper fill spec per ford service manual:

1.66-1.77-liters (3.5-3.75-pints)
6.4-14.3-mm (1/4-9/16-in) below the bottom of the fill hole

I ran the mobil 1 synth with no added friction modifier on my built solid axle, and my stock setup - it worked GREAT!

I just finished replacing a leaking axle seal and am about to fill the rear end back up.

Since it's sunday, i can't get friction mod from Ford

However, i bought 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ($16 each) and it states that it already has the additive included.

So i can safely add it and not worry about the ford friction mod correct?

Just wanted to make sure before i started driving around.

I'm gonna go return the tools i needed for the axle seal and look for a pump and then tackle the fill

I used Mobil 1 as well and if I recall it said something like "For Severe Applications additional friction modifier might be needed"

Check the fine print on the bottle.

I added a bottle of the Ford stuff anyway.