Fox check valve broke off

• Sponsors (?)

ya I had the red on all day yesterday did the final tighten last night then put a bead copper rtv on the outside of them both went for my first drive this morning seems ok but got code 31 I have the book for the codes could I have the Evr plugged in wrong or bad cheap EGR and vavle cause the check engine light will come on when I step on gas then go away and come back

The EGR ports are 5/8" coarse thread - use some short bolts from Home Depot .
They will do the trick to make plugs for the heads if you want to plug them. You might cut the bolts off until they are about 1/2"- 5/8" long. I just cut off the heads of the bolts and used the cutoff tool to make a flat blade screwdriver slot in the bolt to install it. Some red Permatex applied to the bolt threads after the threads have been chased will help to seal them.

Make a thread chaser from a bolt:
Take a cutoff tool and grind 2 slots on opposite sides of the bolt, about 1" long starting from the tip of the bolt. When you are finished, you will have a V or U shaped groove about 1" long to the tip of the bolt. The grooves you made will have sharp edges and will clean out the threads without trying to cut new threads.

See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfPm1W89TO0

CODE: 31 (KOEO) - EVP circuit below minimum voltage. Vref (5 volt reference voltage supplied by the computer) missing or broken wire or bad connection in circuit.
Revised 06-Aug-2016 to add clarification of the 10 pin connector possible problems
Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the orange/white wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the orange/white wire on the TPS or MAP sensor located on the firewall near the center of the car. Use the black/white wire for the ground for the DVM.
With the sensor removed from the EGR and still connected, press the plunger and watch the voltage change on the brown/lt green wire. Pull the passenger side kick panel and measure the voltage at the computer. You will need to remove the plastic cover over the wires and probe them from the backside. A safety pin may prove very useful for this task. Use pin 27, EVR input (brown/lt green wire) and pin 46, signal ground (black/white wire) to measure the voltage. The orange/white wire is Vref and should always be 5 volts -/+ .25 volt. Be sure to measure Vref at the EGR sensor to rule out any broken wires or bad connections.
Measuring the voltage at the computer helps you spot broken wiring and intermittent connections. The 10 pin connectors are especially prone to connection problems, If the voltage checks at the EGR sensor are good but not at the computer, the 10 pin connector is suspect.
See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.

Computer wiring harness connector, wire side

Computer wiring harness connector, computer side

Last edited:
thank you for that now I just got a used EGR from my friend and it looks different then mine he didn't know what year it came off of but it plugs in I saw my old one had a crack where the bottom bolt goes and I blocked off the back off the heads since the tube broke off and the evr seems to be my issue,can I run a line from the manifold to the evr then one to the EGR?