Cleaning MAF on 1990 5.0

PonyBoy90

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
Toronto
Got some questions about cleaning my MAF.

Reason I'm cleaning my MAF is I run a K&N filter and I'm sure on a couple of occasions of cleaning the filter out and re-spraying, I oversprayed and believe the oil is messing with my MAF.

What are some signs that the MAF may/is all gummed up?????????????

Currently, I DO NOT HAVE A "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT. I'm mentioning this as some people have said that a CE light may be a sign that the MAF is messed up. I also haven't run any codes.

Reason I'd like to clean it is I hear it improves idle and start-up quality which I tend to have some issues with.

I've resently had a full cap, rotor, plugs, and wire tune-up with new fuel filter.

What I need to know is, what is a brand name non-residue electronic connection cleaner that I could use to clean the MAF?

Anyone done their's before? How often?

Do I need to disconnect the negative battery cable before I unplug the MAF from the harness or can I work on this with the battery still hooked up?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

click on link below (instructions on cleaning maf) i used carb cleaner with no negative results but if you contac cleaner any brand will work. surging or idle problems,detonation,lack of power ect... are signs of a dirty maf. i would recommend disconnecting battery before disconnecting any sensors... and as a preventive maintenance it will not hurt to clean maf every time you replace or clean air filter....

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/maf.php

Since your in Toronto,Canadian Tire sells electrical contact cleaner in a spray can.
I just sprayed the wires on the sensor with this stuff and it took the black dirty crap right off easily.

8950HO said:
Since your in Toronto,Canadian Tire sells electrical contact cleaner in a spray can.
I just sprayed the wires on the sensor with this stuff and it took the black dirty crap right off easily.

Is this the CT Motormaster brand spray that comes in a can with a picture of an electrical connection on the label?????

If so, I know which spray you're talking about. Costs about $6 a can.

As long as it states that it's a non-residue, I'll get myself a can.

Thanks

PonyBoy90 said:
Is this the CT Motormaster brand spray that comes in a can with a picture of an electrical connection on the label?????

If so, I know which spray you're talking about. Costs about $6 a can.

As long as it states that it's a non-residue, I'll get myself a can.

Thanks

It`s definately non-residue.