Clicking from wheel... bearing problem?

Hack

15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Minneapolis
I just completed a Granada swap on my '70. I also replaced my whole front suspension with new milodyne components. I've driven it a couple hundred miles. Now suddenly I'm hearing a faint clicking sound from the right front.

I jacked up the car, and the bearings seem tight. There's no play that I can notice, and the wheel turns smoothly and easily by hand. Is it possible that I torqued them too tightly? The spindle looked fine prior to assembly, and I didn't notice any noise right away driving it. I did replace the bearings.

Oh, and the noise goes away when I apply the brakes.

Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

ashford said:
i had that problem just get the little clips for the inside pad. and crush the wings on the outter pads together on the caliper
Ok, I did install the little clips when I originally put them together. I'll check to make sure they're still in there.

I don't understand the second half of your statement. Crush the wings on the outer pads? Does that mean to bend the metal backing plate, the very ends? Can you recommend a method to do that? Do I want to bend the ends toward the brake pad, or away?

I'll check the dust cap too.

I'm pretty sure it isn't brake drag. When I rotated the wheel by hand, I didn't notice anything.

I used high temp. disc brake wheel bearing grease.

Thanks for all the help!

yeah, its the tabs on the pad that go over the caliper. They are bent too 'open' so they'll install easily, but it makes them too loose and they rattle. Just remove the pads and tap on the tabs with a hammer or something to make them fit tighter around the caliper. Its a common issue.

ashford said:
i had that problem just get the little clips for the inside pad. and crush the wings on the outter pads together on the caliper
Well I finally :rolleyes: got sick enough of the noise and ambitious enough to pull the wheel again.

You were exactly right, ashford and 12sec67. It was the outer pad. I bent the tabs down slightly so that the metal backing on the pad grips the caliper. The clicking sound completely went away.

Thanks for the help!!

well im late to this topic but was going to add the noise will eventually come back way way way down the road when the clips start to wear away but simply just replace them and problem fixed again.