Clouds of blue smoke

hawaiimuscle

Jun 25, 2019
Oahu, HI
Hey guys, I’ve been away from home because of work. My stang wasn’t used at all for two months.
When I went to drive it today, I couldn’t stay on at idle, sounded rough, and lots of blue smoke. I drove around the block and had significant loss of power and clouds of blue smoke. At one point I got to a stop sign and floored the gas pedal only to stay at idle, and I could hear my turbo spooling.
WTF happened to my engine?!

• Sponsors (?)

That's weird, I didn't receive anything.
Hi,
Its ok. Happened b4...I get an IM & no content follows..regardless, I’d typed already, easier now as I know what I’d typed, lol.
(4) most crucial Turbo install errors.
- Oil feed supplied from the oil filter housing
- Inadequately sized oil drain.
-Improperly vented crankcase(PCV).
- Appropriately selected oil viscosity & level within the engine, turbo mounting position incorrect in relation to crankcase level.(too low).

Important to note that it’s highly possible the turbo nor motor has not sustained severe damage. This can change quickly with FI. Be very gentle on this until the culprit has been located & repaired. Check that:
1) Your Turbo’s oil feeds & drains are intact & functioning, of proper size.
2) Your Crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is functioning appropriately.
3) Your oil is not overfilled and of the correct grade & type
4) The source of oil entering the intake path is identified and corrected.
5) Engine oil pressure is adequate.
6) Restricted air intake filter(s) May cause oil to get pulled by the supplied oil seals into the intake stream.
7) Cross contamination between engine oil & coolant, vise versa.
8) EEC Codes.
9) Pulling the FInintake tubing apart to source the origin of the leak, and repairing an issue that may be apparent.
This may be an engine or Turbo issue. Cleaning the intake tubing out & plugs may show it has a slow leak which kept flowing after last shutdown. Doesn’t necessarily need be serious, being gentle on it, running it gently & only when the most important factors are verified will minimize the risks. If the turbo is leaking oil by a seal, the piping should indicate that.
I have to ask... pls don’t be offended, have anyone around that had access to keys, etc.. may have taken your car for an abusive joyride in your absence, e.g. Kids, Friends ...?
Is this a Journal type, or ball bearing Turbo?
Try to recall if you’d filled up or anything you did previous to the car prior to parking it.
This Turbo setup has been installed, no issues for a while, it’s not a new addition?
Also important to note, oil loss from the Turbo drops engine oil pressure which will affect it negatively.
Turbo’s failing & oil supply seals failing & allowing oil to enter the intake stream is rare, certainly may occur. Pulling intake tubing apart will help identify if this is where the oil is coming from. Sounds like the PCV system isn’t functioning properly, going through the list above should catch it.
Valve seals & oil control rings sound less likely to be at fault without warning.
Restrictors added in the oil galleys feeding/draining the journal type Turbo’s rather than usage of appropriately sized lines & fittings may cause eventual oil starvation issues, (similar to engine bearings being oil starved), while ball bearing type turbo’s running galley restrictors, properly sized, is common & appropriate.
When you floored the accelerator, the motor bogged & didn’t rev as it’s obstructed with oil, Turbo started to spool as it barely had the necessary exhaust flow.
Check your wastegate/bypass, I’m uncertain of the setup, but look closely at all flow control valves, cycle by hand.
Good luck
-John