Clunking While Accelerating In 5th - 89 Gt

VirginMuscleMan

Jan 20, 2014
Maryland
Hey guys, I need a couple ideas of what could be going on with my 89 GT right now . . .

Bit of background - know it needs rack and pinion replacement for a leaking rack, steering is noisy and not its best right now. (gets better when I put a bit more fluid in, but not perfect and gets worse over time). I have had the car for 8 or 9 months, got it from a guy who seemed mostly honest but did not know a lot about what was going on with the car, and since then have had do have a few things done (replaced starter, battery and clutch cable quadrant) the vacuum hoses are leaking, and the clutch needs a bit of work.

I noticed this morning that when it is in 5th and I give it some gas, I hear a regular sort of clicking or clunking, which seems to be proportional to the rev speed. It is not a loud sound, and the car is pretty loud, so it is a hard to hear, but I can hear it distinctly when I am accelerating in gear. If I take it out of gear and rev it, nothing, and I cannot tell if it happens in 3rd or 4th, but I did hear it in 2nd.

Any ideas ? Next stop call Click and Clack ?

• Sponsors (?)

Still hearing noises when I accelerate . . . Now distinct in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th, but not getting anything in 4th. Is more of a clicking than a clanking, really. Think I am going to try to put in my new rack and pinion today and see what happens after that - though I will be taking it in soon to get aligned and have a few things looked at.

Back in the day i had an ignition issue that manifested itself at low rpms under light throttle.
When the car was in 5th gear at low rpm it would trailer hitch, felt like a little gap between the gears.
Thought it was a rear or trans problem, turned out to be a burned wire.

Lifters themselves are almost never the problem, regardless of situation.

Took it to my mechanic, he listened to it and said it was the tranny - he said because it is not happening in 4th, when one of the shafts in the transmission is not engaged it was the transmission. Now I have to figure out whether to replace the transmission or the car - new car might cost more, but the transmission would probably cost as much as it is worth, maybe more, and could just be a money pit. Anybody have an extra transmission ?