Clutch cable help

Brad Hanks

5 Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Hey guys, questions on my 90 fox. I have on three single turbo kit. I have the Steeda adjustable cable. I keep melting it because it has to be routed through the five and six primaries. From what I have found people have been using the max for motorsports SN 95 cable, but it is not available anymore. So I was wondering what else you guys have used and what else I can do to make a cable work and not go hydraulic. Thanks I’m advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Uh... Yeah, that's a tough one.

For now, I would suggest finding any SN95 length cable that you can. Install it with the plan to replace it when the [good] cable becomes available again.

Non-OEM cables for our cars = Things that Suck Balls

The maximum cable was the 96-04 oem v8 cable with the gromet removed, you can still find the 3.8 oem cable if you don't need the extra lenght, But the v8 cable got discontinued again........ Length wise you could try the atp y780 as its the replacement for the gt version.. Not sure where its made these days but the ones made in Israel where some what decent... Could always check the pick n pulls for a new edge car. Don't think any cables is going to last running threw the primaries though.

I’ll definitely keep my eye out, but that’s my thought exactly hence why I’m looking for a longer cable to go In front of #5. I’ll see if I can find that though.

Go here, buy the heat shield that's rated to 1,800+ degrees. Go with 1/2" thick if you have plenty of room, or 1/4" if you don't.

Wrap the primary, and wrap the cable if you can. Problem solved.

Nothing beats a Maximum Motorsports cable, but if that's not available and/or you don't have a firewall adjuster, buy another Steeda cable. They're perfectly fine. However, I don't trust anything else.

Go here, buy the heat shield that's rated to 1,800+ degrees. Go with 1/2" thick if you have plenty of room, or 1/4" if you don't.

Wrap the primary, and wrap the cable if you can. Problem solved.

Nothing beats a Maximum Motorsports cable, but if that's not available and/or you don't have a firewall adjuster, buy another Steeda cable. They're perfectly fine. However, I don't trust anything else.
Thanks I’ll try that.

I did find a bbk one that is significantly longer. Any thoughts on their stuff?
Only aftermarket adjustable I would try is the steeda, few ppl used to claim it was as good but I either ran oem ford cables new or used or the frpp HD linkage stock style replacement. I gave up on adjustable type cables 20 years ago after snapping at least a dozen.

Reactions: 1 user
I can’t find any stock style ones anywhere so have to try something else. Plus the steeda one is only one length and I think I’d just feel better about it if I could run it around the front of the header.

I have the MM kit and the cable goes clear to the front of the engine with ease.. I can attach some pics if you would like.....

I have the MM kit and the cable goes clear to the front of the engine with ease.. I can attach some pics if you would like.....
Man…. If I could buy the cable somewhere this is exactly what I would do. On their site it is unavailable though and I don’t know where to buy it.

Man…. If I could buy the cable somewhere this is exactly what I would do. On their site it is unavailable though and I don’t know where to buy it.
Ford doesn’t have a ship date that’s why you can’t find it . Try the steeda for now and wait on mm . It is worth it .

With my mm I was able to come out around my header and oil filter and down under ut along the k to the bellhousing never being anywhere near the exhaust

Reactions: 1 users
Its discounted, only luck would be finding a dealer or parts house with stock. Ford dropped a ton of stuff since the supply chain crap...... You could try tasca.. They show stock but I doubt they have it... Shipping from them all ways sucks. xr3z-7535-ca. Its the same cable mm uses just with the firewall bushing removed...

If you need a stock Fox length cable here is a listing on eBay from a reputable dealer:

Thanks, but I need the 96-04 cable. Otherwise it’ll just melted again.

Its discounted, only luck would be finding a dealer or parts house with stock. Ford dropped a ton of stuff since the supply chain crap...... You could try tasca.. They show stock but I doubt they have it... Shipping from them all ways sucks. xr3z-7535-ca. Its the same cable mm uses just with the firewall bushing removed...
I’ll take a look.