Clutch cable help

• Sponsors (?)

That's because 95% of the companies sales reps don't know a damn thing about what the sell any more, its been that way for a while now.. A fox cable wouldn't reach on a 96-04 its 11inches shorter and uses a different mounting bracket

Man, I've been at this a long time. I've put multiple transmissions in, including a T56 in all 3 of my current foxbodies. I've had all kinds of routing issues with my turbo kits. I have had the clutch cable problems with many aftermarket companies. Please just take my advice and save yourself time. Steeda (MM if you ever need one again)... heat wrap (use the link I sent & metal bands to secure it)... done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Man, I've been at this a long time. I've put multiple transmissions in, including a T56 in all 3 of my current foxbodies. I've had all kinds of routing issues with my turbo kits. I have had the clutch cable problems with many aftermarket companies. Please just take my advice and save yourself time. Steeda (MM if you ever need one again)... heat wrap (use the link I sent & metal bands to secure it)... done.
Soon as the Mm cable comes back I’ll do it. I’m not gonna use the steeda cable now because I had that and it melted with heat wrap on it. I found a 96 length cable and heat wrapped it so hopefully this routing works. I appreciate the advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 32
That's because 95% of the companies sales reps don't know a damn thing about what the sell any more, its been that way for a while now.. A fox cable wouldn't reach on a 96-04 its 11inches shorter and uses a different mounting bracket
Yeah that makes sense. I did go with the cable you suggested and got it routed (see picture below.) so hopefully it’ll last a while.

This one:

Soon as the Mm cable comes back I’ll do it. I’m not gonna use the steeda cable now because I had that and it melted with heat wrap on it. I found a 96 length cable and heat wrapped it so hopefully this routing works. I appreciate the advice.
Ok... The thing to be aware of is cable stretch, leading to binding. Maybe the 3rd parties have gotten better since I dabbled, but if not you'll get to a point that pushing it to the floor still fails to disengage the motor from trans. Of course you'll eventually max out the range of adjustment Then, either the cable will snap, or become so hard to push down, you'd want to sell your car, at least, I almost did.

Not saying that to be a dick. Nothing's worse than replacing the same part over and over and thinking something else is going on. So, if it comes to that, you'll be in a better state of mind.

Ok... The thing to be aware of is cable stretch, leading to binding. Maybe the 3rd parties have gotten better since I dabbled, but if not you'll get to a point that pushing it to the floor still fails to disengage the motor from trans. Of course you'll eventually max out the range of adjustment Then, either the cable will snap, or become so hard to push down, you'd want to sell your car, at least, I almost did.

Not saying that to be a dick. Nothing's worse than replacing the same part over and over and thinking something else is going on. So, if it comes to that, you'll be in a better state of mind.
Yeah for sure Ik what you’re talking about. I barely drive it anymore so if that happens it’ll take a long time and hopefully that MM cable is available by then.

I have personally never had a problem with a BBK part. I've been using their cables for years. I actually bought a Steeda cable this last time. The fender mount bracket was too long and interfered with my headers. So I actually bent the BBK bracket off of the old cable, and bent it onto the Steeda cable. I just did all my measurements to go hydraulic today, and I am going to need Jesus to save at this point.

Kurt

I have personally never had a problem with a BBK part. I've been using their cables for years. I actually bought a Steeda cable this last time. The fender mount bracket was too long and interfered with my headers. So I actually bent the BBK bracket off of the old cable, and bent it onto the Steeda cable. I just did all my measurements to go hydraulic today, and I am going to need Jesus to save at this point.

Kurt
Hmmm good to know for sure. lol for sure

Kurt
On everything since the oem ford cables, I've always removed those and done everything I could to decrease the bend in the cable and make it as smooth as possible from the firewall back to the bellhousing.