Clutch cable just isnt strong enough

forum155pl

Jul 11, 2006
the 509
I just put in a King cobra clutch, Brand new OEM clutch cable, UPR speedshift quadrent, UPR firewall adjuster.. (MEGA HARD PEDAL EFFORT)

last night my clutch petal hit the floor, and come to find out the cable jacket slipped through the grommet that holds the end of the cable:bang: my quick fix was to move the grommet back up and hoseclamp it back tight with the cable jacket(no worky):bang: ... 6!! Hoseclamps later (in a row) it finally held..

ok so my question is who makes a cable that is "un-mess-up-able"?

• Sponsors (?)

as far as I know, the OEM is the strongest cable, and has the most insulation around it... frankly, switching to an aftermarket cable is just asking for problems, I would try to find another OEM and be more careful while installing it. Also, there is something wrong with your install, I have the same clutch kit in my '97 and there isn't much pedal effort at all.

It was fine with the cobra clutch.... but when i added the UPR speedshift quadrent it all went down hill... its a steeper, bigger ramp.. now its really hard.. i know its installed all right...

forum155pl said:
It was fine with the cobra clutch.... but when i added the UPR speedshift quadrent it all went down hill... its a steeper, bigger ramp.. now its really hard.. i know its installed all right...

okay, well perhaps there inlies the problem... I'm not questioning your install abilities, I assumed all this stuff went in at the same time. I can't comment on the UPR quadrant, I still have the stock one. Maybe you should put the stocker back in to verify its the quadrant causing the problems, and if it is, return it and get one from MM or steeda. Sorry, I'm not much help :shrug:

anything helps man... i did install the clutch and the cable about 2 weeks before the quadrent and firewall adjuster, So i know its the quadrent that makes the cable pull though..

I like the idea of the speedshift quadrent, but not if i'm going to have to keep adding hoseclamps lol.. the speedshift is os big that it about touches the underside of my dash.. i had to cut away some insulation to make it not scrape

after the stock quadrent came off... i have no idea how it goes back on... its alot of wacky lookin parts :shrug:

RandyStinchcomb said:
ditch the UPR clutch thing. I ran a stock clutch cable wth my 1996 untill I switched to an auto and never had a problem, even wth a Ram clutch & Tremec TKO trans. you may also want to check your engine mounts and see if there ok.

engine mounts are less then 6 months old

i need the quadrent to be able to adjust my pedal to my prefrence as well as the adjuster..

RandyStinchcomb said:
you-do, why? I never had any issues wth the stock set-up, maybe try adjusting the seat position and strg wheel to suit your needs.

cuz i'm picky.. i like my clutch to dissengauge as high as i can make it... stock quadrent is a pos when it comes to king cobra clutches also..

I installed the MM quad/firewall adjuster with their modified OEM cable after my King Cobra and no issues at all. The quad should make things smoother, not harder. Something isn't right if you are breaking the OEM cable.

its not a stock replacement Unadjustable quad... its a speedshift!!!!!!!!! Meaning .. a lil harder, smoother... AND!, Quicker clutch action..

****... should i just dump this thing and get a differant quadrent?

forum155pl said:
cuz i'm picky.. i like my clutch to dissengauge as high as i can make it... stock quadrent is a pos when it comes to king cobra clutches also..

BS, you are so wrong, I used stock cable, quad & fork wth my car and ran 11.90's all day long and power-shifting the whole way down the track and NEVER had ANY issues:nice: you come on here asking for help, well put it back to stock and you problems will be over:)

RandyStinchcomb said:
BS, you are so wrong, I used stock cable, quad & fork wth my car and ran 11.90's all day long and power-shifting the whole way down the track and NEVER had ANY issues:nice: you come on here asking for help, well put it back to stock and you problems will be over:)

HAHAHA I"M WRONG??:nono: well tell that to my bent quadrent.. its bent because of the new clutch (stiffer) ive read all about it on:SNSign: that it was going to happen and it did.... last thing i'm going to do is put in a stocker and bend it again..

dude, I ran K/C clutches for years on mine (launching on Nytrous wth slicks) and NEVER bent/broke anything, well maybe a few T-45's:rlaugh: due to my hard shifting :D now just an FYI, a K/C clutch is @10% greater in holding power than a stocker and if "IT" caused ALL your problems, it's not the clutch but prob due to the install of it or your firewall adjuster or something else thats was done.

RandyStinchcomb said:
dude, I ran K/C clutches for years on mine (launching on Nytrous wth slicks) and NEVER bent/broke anything, we maybe a few T-45's:rlaugh: . just an FYI, a K/C clutch has @10% greater in holding power than a stocker and if "IT" caused ALL your problems, it's not the clutch but prob due to the install of it or you firewall adjuster.

MINE BENT! i dont care about that yours didnt... IF yours bent, i doubt you would go to ford and get another stocker, its just stupid..

forum155pl said:
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=634

Its called a speed release not a speedshift or whatever i called it before.. my pedal effort was easy before i put this thing on... should i just e-bay it and pick up a stock style replacement (metal not crap plastic) like a mm or steeda? with another stock cable?..

YES!!! You've been told this several times already...Either go back with stock quadrant or get a new MM or Steda quadrant...Problem solved!

My KC clutch was stiff for the first 200 miles, then felt just like a stock unit, but gripped.

I ran a BBK adj cable and quadrant. My first pass at the track, I stretched my adj cable 6" and since I added the stock oem cable, I have zero issues.

Not doubting you, but I am with randy on this.