Clutch cable to fork pivot

LX Dave

5 Year Member
Jul 2, 2017
I'm missing a part for my '84 GT350. When I bought the car, it was pretty much torn apart and in boxes. Looking for this cable to fork pivot (red arrow below). Anybody know where I can get one and what it's called? Looked at the major Mustang parts places along with other places with no luck. Looks like I have the same cable and have both of the nuts, but no pivot.

clutch cable pivot2.jpg

Pic stolen from CHILL347...Thanks for showing this.

• Sponsors (?)

Looking at the clutch fork, it's got a curved surface that would match the "pivot" as I'm calling it. There's not much engagement with just the nut and it looks like the nut would bind with movement. I'm not 100% positive that part is what I need, but it sure looks like it. On the clutch fork, I can see there is some wear that looks like it's from that pivot, not just a nut. I have been wrong before though.:doh:

I managed to sneak out to the clutter that resembles a garage on the outside and found the spare stock clutch cable, it has a 'pivot ball ' swedged (?) On to the cable end. I would look for a cable that is non adjustable and install a firewall adjuster and aluminum quadrant.

To my surprise, somebody had put on a Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster before I got it. Guessing I could do first adjustment from below, then any other adjustments could just be done with the firewall adjuster....if I can find the pivot thingy. Or, just get a new non-adjustable cable. Choices, choices.

What's the good brand of cable to get again? Maximum Motorsports?
I'm defiantly in no hurry as my rotating assembly is at the shop to get balanced and they are a bit backed up right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When I lost the "short" cable on my '93I knew that the aftermarket versions were/are junk (garbage!); also knew that the only other option was to find a NOS cable.. I found a website that you can buy about any kind of ball that your imagination might need, picked up two, and connected them with a stainless steel threaded rod, with a couple jam nuts. I forget the size but it works great. They weren't cheap for 2 balls but this is a permant proper solution. I think it was called ball-tec or something along those lines. Might google it.

I got an idea last night ( no not from the 2am devil) take a nut, I would try a soft steel nut that is 1/2" x 3 /4" long, 1/2" long may work, grind one end to fit the cup in the fork, you may need a washer between that and the jam nut.
just thinking like a 'redneck' as somebody would say.

So, while I was thinking about this, I had to go out in the parts shed to grab more stuff for the car and saw a T-5 bell-housing laying there. Saw the clutch fork pivot and was like "would you look at that", it's got the half ball on the end of it. Pulled it off the bell and checked the fit to the cable end of the fork and perfect fit. Since I have extras laying around, decided to do a little drilling and cutting and made a part that should work.

pivot.jpg

Seems to fit the nut and fork pretty good, so we'll see how good it works.

• Hell Yeah!