87 gt pop in clutch pedal

noah139

Jun 26, 2022
Connecticut
I have a 87 gt with a t5. I’ve been daily driving this car for a while and it’s been perfect. But recently I’ve been getting a popping noise coming from under the car when I push the clutch in, and I can feel it in the clutch. BUT it only does it after the cars been warmed up and I’ve driven if for like 10 mins. Jacked the car up and looked inside the bell housing and everything in there seems fine. I had someone push the clutch repeatedly and it went away when I pushed on the cable. I tightened the cable and put grease on the clutch fork and pivot nut(whatever it’s called) and it’s better but still happens when warmed up. Any advice helps, thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Pop in the pedal assembly itself? There is an OEM adjustable quadrant that self adjusts. Sometimes the teeth slip due to age. It’s could be the adjustable mechanical popping at it slips and adjusts.

Pop in the pedal assembly itself? There is an OEM adjustable quadrant that self adjusts. Sometimes the teeth slip due to age. It’s could be the adjustable mechanical popping at it slips and adjusts.
it is 100 percent not from the pedal, i just meant i can feel it in the pedal. It is coming from under the car. I have one of the aftermarket medal quadrants

Ok I guess I’m starting to figure it out myself. I can’t post the video but I noticed then it pops the clutch fork shifts to the side. I’m assuming that means something in the bell housing is screwed up whether it’s throw out bearing or pivot stud

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I guess I’m starting to figure it out myself. I can’t post the video but I noticed then it pops the clutch fork shifts to the side. I’m assuming that means something in the bell housing is screwed up whether it’s throw out bearing or pivot stud
Or the clutch fork is broken or the pressure plate has broken...... If you have pinpointed it to inside the bell housing I would pull the clutch and look it over.... Probably be prepared to spend some money ......

Or the clutch fork is broken or the pressure plate has broken...... If you have pinpointed it to inside the bell housing I would pull the clutch and look it over.... Probably be prepared to spend some money ......
thanks for the advice, I was able to see inside the bell housing and the pressure plate looked fine but of course I won’t know until I pull the trans out

When I was a kid we chased a chattering clutch problem on my friends 57 chevy for what seemed like forever.... Pulled the transmission out multiple times and removed the clutch and fly wheel.. Seems like we replaced fork and bearing at seperate " take apart times"...
We finally took all of the clutch parts to a clutch shop and they pointed out what was wrong with the pressure plate as it had be " abused" and was bad..... It was hard to see but after what was wrong with it was pointed out to us it was obvious.... Just saying......

Since you said it got better after you greased the ball pivot stud, I bet that or the release fork or both have excessive play and both need replaced, or the input shaft bearing retainer on the transmission is grooved and the TO bearing is catching there every time you work the clutch. Both common problems. If your input shaft bearing retainer is grooved, install a FRPP hardened one and be done. Also suggest you use Ford OE parts for the bearings, fork and ball pivot. I did and the clutch on my 87 is excellent now. Good luck

Alright got the trans out. Bearing retainer looks good (smooth, no cracks, no groves), throw out bearing looks good and feels good, clutch for looks good, and the pivot stud… well I think the picture explains for itself

Attachments

• FAA7F33B-06FE-4467-A9D5-7DC6619ACF1F.jpeg
    FAA7F33B-06FE-4467-A9D5-7DC6619ACF1F.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 72
Do you have a clutch rebuilder close to you?? I would take the pressure plate and disc to them and see if they could inspect it for you.....

Trans is out. I I was playing with the clutch fork while the bell housing and everything was together. I noticed the clutch fork could slide side to side a bit on the pivot stud. When it slid towards the throw out bearing a little the throw out bearing would rub up against the fork binding. The Side of the bearing has tiny tiny scratches (only had the issue since two days ago) so I believe the bearing is fine. I think the clutch fork is the problem. I ordered one and I’m going to check and see how it fits compared to the old one. Hopefully this is all the problem is. Would love to hear some input

If the TOB is in a bind on the trans input shaft bearing retainer then I would say that is an issue which could produce the popping sensation / sound. New clutch fork will tell the story.