Clutch change help

ctrout71

Feb 2, 2010
I'm trying to change the clutch in a 96 and am having difficulty getting at the bolts at the top of the bell housing. Can anybody give me any tips on how to get through this job? I got the shifter out and the starter off along with the lower bolts that I can get to. Drive shaft is out and tranny mount bolts are out as well. do I need to remove the tranny from the housing before I can get to the housing bolts?

• Sponsors (?)

Remove the trans and get it out of the way, although as I recall, you can bolt the trans and bell up together, I prefer to unbolt them and do it separately. This will also allow the engine to rock back a little on it's mounts and allow a little more clearance. I'm thinking 9/16 , 5/8 or maybe 14 mm(I forget), short socket, a universal and long extension and that should do it. You might also be able to get it with just a wobble extension and the socket. Something to keep in mind is nowz the time to change the pilot bearing (grease it) and if you use one of those plastic line up tools, it won't be perfect. You can line up the trans splines but you'll probably need someone to activate the clutch ( a little goes a long way) and it will slide right in for you.

Thanks for the help. I was able to separate the trans from the bell housing. I will be dropping it off for a rebuild after the holiday so the install will be sometime later in a week or two.