Clutch Fork Shake-Video

Black1987

my wife Bedazzled my input shaft
15 Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
NC
How common is clutch fork shake?

New Zoom HD clutch, Ford TOB/pilot bearing, 5.0 resto clutch fork and stud, stock quadrant, LMR adjustable cable,

Waiting to break in the new clutch and notice a vibration.

I have Ford Racing Non Adjustable cable otw now to see if it resolves the issue. I could set more preload in the cable….But how much is too much.

I tightened down the adjustable cable until I felt resistance. Also pushed and lifted the clutch pedal to adjust the slack.

• Sponsors (?)

No, that's not normal. Almost always a bad clutch release bearing, or a bad clutch diaphram. If you don't torque the clutch down properly, it will do that too.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
No, that's not normal. Almost always a bad clutch release bearing, or a bad clutch diaphram. If you don't torque the clutch down properly, it will do that too.

Kurt
Went back and checked the torque. Bearing was new Ford one and spun by freely in my hand nothing abnomal.

Put a new Ford cable on it and still see it visibly shakes in neutral.

View: https://youtu.be/bdlgwEhBKkE

No noticeable vibrations in the car. Shifts smooth.

Before putting the clutch cable back on, actuated by hand.

88165437-2761-4EEB-A493-F53268B226F6.jpeg
3A94ECC4-4371-41DE-91A2-150E338B4DEC.jpeg

And here is it running assembled again.
Honestly I would of not noticed this if I did have the adjustable cable on the first go around.

It looks like the bearing is in contact with the clutch. That bearing should be away from the clutch. Loosen the cable and see if it improves.

Kurt

It looks like the bearing is in contact with the clutch. That bearing should be away from the clutch. Loosen the cable and see if it improves.

Kurt
By design it is supposed to ride on pressure plate.

Intially I had a adjustable cable on it and barely any preload on it.

I was concerned of putting to much preload so I switched back to the stock cable since it has the original quadrant and reset the self adjusted.

Engages and disengaged like stock, no popping out of gear. If the cover was on I wouldn’t notice the vibrations I’m seeing

Is anyone on here able to compare on their manual?

The spring is warped or otherwise has a bent finger
The clutch operation should be smooth regardless of constant ride or clearance of the TO bearing
In snow skiing around here there is a saying
"ski on your face for a while and you will get Markers"\
I feel the same way about diaphragm clutches
Trouble like this and do not last long
I put 6 clutches in 6 weeks in my dz 302 camaro
Switched to a Ford 3 finger style clutch and never put another clutch in the car in 15 years
Currently run a 3 finger style in my boss motor with a 6.9 diesel disc no trouble (yet)

By design it is supposed to ride on pressure plate.

Intially I had a adjustable cable on it and barely any preload on it.

I was concerned of putting to much preload so I switched back to the stock cable since it has the original quadrant and reset the self adjusted.

Engages and disengaged like stock, no popping out of gear. If the cover was on I wouldn’t notice the vibrations I’m seeing

Is anyone on here able to compare on their manual?

That's one of the old Mustang controversies. Some people have it ride on the diaphragm, some people don't. I like to have mine away from the clutch completely. I've found keeping the bearing unloaded preserves them better. Manicmechanic is most likely correct, the clutch has a bent finger on the diaphragm. I definitely don't recommend going to a 3 finger though. My clutch fork does not shake or wiggle, or anything like that. I've seen bent fingers that were so bad the clutch fork jumps all over the place. If I were you, I would contact Zoom tech support and see what they say.

Kurt

The spring is warped or otherwise has a bent finger
The clutch operation should be smooth regardless of constant ride or clearance of the TO bearing
In snow skiing around here there is a saying
"ski on your face for a while and you will get Markers"\
I feel the same way about diaphragm clutches
Trouble like this and do not last long
I put 6 clutches in 6 weeks in my dz 302 camaro
Switched to a Ford 3 finger style clutch and never put another clutch in the car in 15 years
Currently run a 3 finger style in my boss motor with a 6.9 diesel disc no trouble (yet
Thank you for the response!

That's one of the old Mustang controversies. Some people have it ride on the diaphragm, some people don't. I like to have mine away from the clutch completely. I've found keeping the bearing unloaded preserves them better. Manicmechanic is most likely correct, the clutch has a bent finger on the diaphragm. I definitely don't recommend going to a 3 finger though. My clutch fork does not shake or wiggle, or anything like that. I've seen bent fingers that were so bad the clutch fork jumps all over the place. If I were you, I would contact Zoom tech support and see what they say.

Kurt
When Manicmechanic mentioned the bent finger I emailed Zoom to see if they had any direction.

If you ever happen to take a video of your clearance, I would like to see it. Do you not have any preload?

Thank you for the response!

When Manicmechanic mentioned the bent finger I emailed Zoom to see if they had any direction.

If you ever happen to take a video of your clearance, I would like to see it. Do you not have any preload?

No, I don't have any preload at all. I actually have it loose enough so that you can move the fork back and forth with your hand. Preload can actually burn up a clutch, and I have seen that. I just did a clutch, and I was actually curious about the same thing, having done it this way for years. I went all over the internet seeing how other people did it, and it turns out that they was no concensus what so ever. So it's kind of surprising. I'd love to get you a video, but I have those tight foxbody 1 3/4" longtube headers, and filming that fork is not an option on my car.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users