Cobra Brake Booster Source

Well I ordered mine from rock along with the master cylinder should be in this week. So here is the real question, how in the #%** did you all get the stock booster out? I got 3 of the 4 nuts off, and I am stuck on one and I have no idea how to get to it. Tried for awhile last night to where I got fed up and quit. Tried socket but it needs the deep socket and I can’t get it up in there. Tried wrench and I can’t get that either. Also how do I disconnect the brake pedal from the booster?
4AC21429-438D-4BD1-801B-C6572A2BBB96.jpeg
07B1DBEA-5807-462E-A9BD-44003A409E1C.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

ugh it's a real pita... remove the drivers seat if you haven't already. You should probably pop the rear plastic trim off that is under the steering wheel as well as the metal cover that's under that and use an assortment of extensions through there to get at the bolts.

To disconnect the brake pedal you need to look for a red hairpin clip behind the brake pedal. Pull it with a small screw driver or pair of pliers. Then slide the sensor off the stud and that is welded on to the brake pedal. Make sure you pay attention to how it was installed so that you position the bushings in the correct spot when you go to reinstall the sensor.

ugh it's a real pita... remove the drivers seat if you haven't already. You should probably pop the rear plastic trim off that is under the steering wheel as well as the metal cover that's under that and use an assortment of extensions through there to get at the bolts.

To disconnect the brake pedal you need to look for a red hairpin clip behind the brake pedal. Pull it with a small screw driver or pair of pliers. Then slide the sensor off the stud and that is welded on to the brake pedal. Make sure you pay attention to how it was installed so that you position the bushings in the correct spot when you go to reinstall the sensor.
Ha ha yeah I yanked that drivers seat out after getting one bolt out and felt like I twisted up my spine. I’ll give that a shot by taking that panel out and see what I can do. After just getting three bolts out I quickly said wtf am doing I should’ve had someone do this for me!!

Ha ha yeah I yanked that drivers seat out after getting one bolt out and felt like I twisted up my spine. I’ll give that a shot by taking that panel out and see what I can do. After just getting three bolts out I quickly said wtf am doing I should’ve had someone do this for me!!

Haha yea I hear you there man. Just make sure you take a picture or pay attention to exactly how the sensor goes back on the booster rod/pedal and if you haven't already loosen or remove your master cylinder first. Doing so will make it easier to unbolt the mc from the booster and will give you more room to get the booster out and if your upgrading to a cobra master cylinder anyways well the thing has to go anyways.

Haha yea I hear you there man. Just make sure you take a picture or pay attention to exactly how the sensor goes back on the booster rod/pedal and if you haven't already loosen or remove your master cylinder first. Doing so will make it easier to unbolt the mc from the booster and will give you more room to get the booster out and if your upgrading to a cobra master cylinder anyways well the thing has to go anyways.
So I did undo the two nuts and bolts that hold the MC to the booster. I was wondering can you remove it in one piece, and then install the new cobra MC and booster as one whole unit or is that just to difficult.

Ok for those who painted their boosters how did you go about it. I cleaned mine off bc I felt greasy in a way. Then lightly scuffed it all up and wiped it down. Sprayed it with glossy black caliper paint w/ceramic. It didn’t come out smooth actually looks like oil met water. I know once it’s in you won’t see it all that much but still.
73D976B6-C588-414B-AC95-3144D9E1C8D2.jpeg
6C1C3D50-983F-4B74-9DF8-F5D2CC96713E.jpeg

Attachments

• B7655800-F39D-416D-9E8D-EB37EEB98CF6.jpeg
    B7655800-F39D-416D-9E8D-EB37EEB98CF6.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 111
  • AC93B1DE-8A93-4A36-87DE-73924F1AED72.jpeg
    AC93B1DE-8A93-4A36-87DE-73924F1AED72.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 95
I use a ratchet wrench up on that last nut. It needs to be a good one though that has a tight ratcheting to it, can't be an old sloppy one. I have painted a few cobra boosters and it always does what yours did. Must be something they use on their coating that causes it.

It needed a wash with Dawn dish detergent...scuffed...washed again. Dried and then hit with primer and then paint. They use a type of oil to help keep it from rusting in the box. I forget the name of it....but its the same stuff that's on brand new brake rotors.

I was installing mine today and took it out. There is a sticky spot in its travel? I'm reluctant to finish the job until I am sure it's correct. It's better when vacuum is connected, but still has a sticky spot. Anyone else experience this? We are ordering another just to check it. Ny buddies shop can return it once we confirm things.

I was installing mine today and took it out. There is a sticky spot in its travel? I'm reluctant to finish the job until I am sure it's correct. It's better when vacuum is connected, but still has a sticky spot. Anyone else experience this? We are ordering another just to check it. Ny buddies shop can return it once we confirm things.
What do you mean by sticky spot?

I mean when you push the pedal down, about a third of the way down the it has a sticky spot that it hangs up at. It goes farther down and sticks again on the way back up. This is without the master cylinder on. When I hook the vacuum up it is much easier to push but still has the sticky spot. Not as bad, but still there.
I never put the master cylinder on because I don't think it's right. I think it's a bunk rebuild from cardone.