• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search

  • Thread starter Thread starter AeroCoupe
  • Start date Start date Aug 2, 2026

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,251
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 2, 2026
#1
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • #1
I have read some threads as to what folks are using for a five lug spare on the Foxes with the Cobra brake conversion. Some are just carrying the V6/GT spare as they are running the same size wheel/tire on all four corners so they can use the V6/GT spare on the rear. If the front goes flat then they move a rear tire up front and then put the V6/GT spare on the rear as it will not fit the front brake setup.

Others opted to get a 94-04 Cobra, 03/04 Mach 1, or 2001 Bullitt but holy hell they are pricey now and some people are getting scammed when they buy online.

So what brought this on for me was I have been carrying one of the V6/GT spares since I converted the Coupe about 20 years ago and one in the T-Bird for about 15 years. Both cars have had staggered setups on them for the last 10 years so the whole moving a rear wheel up front thing has been out the window and I have just been lucky with the few miles they get driven. I ran across this thread on the Corral which list the 07-14 Ford Edge as a solution but the tire on them is a T165/80/D17 (roughly a 26.5" diameter) and the tire on the Cobra/Mach 1/Bullitt is a T155/70R17 (roughly a 25.5" diameter) so there is roughly 1" of diameter difference.

https://www.corral.net/threads/spare-tire-that-fits-sn95-cobra-brakes.2521627/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic

I have also seen the Ford Edge spare solution mentioned on here a couple of times of which one was in Mustang5L5's build thread or at least I am pretty sure it was.

The setups on my cars are roughly 25.5" on the front and back and they have tightly packed limited slips so odd diameters is not great there and I really don't want to think about trying to steer the car with one of the fronts being an 1" taller. May or may not be bad but why do it if you do not have to.

So this weekend I went to a U-Pull It salvage yard and they had about 10 Edge's in the 07-14 range and I was able to get two really nice (doubt they have ever been run) spares and the washer that helps hold them down. I wanted the wing nuts as they were a really nice design but it is a different thread than the Fox Mustang and the Edges have a stud that screws directly into the bottom of the spare wheel well of the car vs the Fox Mustang stud which hooks into a loop welded to the spare wheel well bottom so I could not use the Edge stud.

Pulled one of the front wheels of the Coupe and mounted the spare and it clears the Cobra Caliper by about 1/4" at the tightest spot. Couple of pictures of the spare installed (car is still jacked up), the tire size, and three of the clearance:










The last two pictures I was able to get a light behind the wheel and back light it. Wish I would have retaken the first pic that had no back light.

Dropped the car down on the spare and its too close the inner fender for me (my car is a full MM car and it is pretty low) so I am going to replace the existing tires with T155/70R17's as the T-Bird is a Griggs Racing suspension car and is pretty low as well.

I bought the spares for $22 each and I have a buddy that can get me the new tires for $100 so for me that is a win. He can also mount them and balance them so no cost there.

Anyhow, this is proof that the 07-14 Edge spare wheel clears the Cobra front brakes.
 
Last edited: Aug 2, 2026
Reactions: FastDriver, 2000xp8, DadLife0724 and 3 others

Shakerhood

20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 28, 2004
3,360
211
114
Ohio
Aug 9, 2026
#2
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • #2
Nice find
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,251
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 14, 2026
#3
  • Aug 14, 2026
  • #3
So all in I am at $165 per spare. Bought new Continental 155/70R17’s. Could have gone with 145’s but they were a longer lead time and cost more.



Fit is good enough to get the car where it would need to go to either put it on a trailer or limp it home if close enough.

I will say the 155 fits on the spare well but you are not getting anything taller in there. The 145 would drop right in if that matches you tire size better.





It’s tight going in and out due to the sub box and amps but it goes in without much effort.
 
Last edited: Aug 14, 2026
Reactions: 90sickfox, Shakerhood, gkomo and 2 others

FastDriver

I was uncomfortably high & wearing a helmet
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
6,147
2,779
224
Vass, NC
Aug 27, 2026
#4
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • #4
Gosh... didn't remember finding a big brake clearing spare as a challenge. I went back to look at things. For Black Jack with normal Cobra brakes, I got a Cobra spare nearby for $80 off of bookface. You could probably still do that.

But... on Grover with bigger Brembos, I bought an 18" wheel off of Summit for $118. Now, that wheel is $238! The right size tire for it is $150. Then, of course mounting & balancing. How painful is that?! $400 for the cheapest one. This makes me glad that I built my cars years ago.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,251
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 27, 2026
#5
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • #5
Yeah I found a couple original Cobra spares but they wanted north of $250. I should have bought a couple of them back when I swapped these cars 20 years ago so that’s on me. At least the way I went is was pretty reasonable and the rubber is new so one less thing off my mind.
 

keel

Active Member
Aug 23, 2020
270
121
53
Seattle, Wa
Aug 27, 2026
#6
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • #6
I bought a 17" spare from a Lexus ES for $40 because it had the right bolt pattern and tire size (155/70/17). Turns out the hub centric bore was too small... So I cut out some material from the center, machined a steel ring to fit the hub, and welded the ring on to the area that I cut out so that it was hub centric again.

So if anyone wants to make the process of getting a spare tire for Cobra brakes about 10x harder than it needs to be, that's an option too.
 
Reactions: FastDriver, AeroCoupe and Noobz347

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,332
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Sep 2, 2026
#7
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • #7
I managed to find a decent Cobra 17" spare for my '00 GT with cobra brakes.


On my '88, I was originally planning on running ATS brembos. The cobra spare obviously will not fit that. I later found out my C5 PBR's will not clear the cobra spare either, so I needed another solution.

I stole this from another person but my solution was to buy a racestar recluse in 18x5" and put a spare on that. Clears the ATS brembos, and proper OD. It sits low in the hatch and fits inside the well. At the time it was a $130 rim. Forget what i paid for the spare tire. I was originally going to have a 1998 cobra wheel cut down to 4-5" but this was cheaper. The big thing was it clears the ATS brembos, which unfortunately I never ended up doing.

 
Reactions: FastDriver and gkomo

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,251
183
Claremore, OK
Sep 2, 2026
#8
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • #8
I saw one similar to that and did consider it because it looks really good.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
305-45-17 tires on Pony wheels (17")?
  • TTSaleen
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
769
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 25, 2026
TTSaleen
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
181
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
W
Front ATS brakes with Taurus rear brakes. Full parts needed?
  • Wagonized
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
150
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 25, 2026
General karthief
S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
321
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?