Cobra Bumper Insert Factory Install

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Anyone blend or mold their cobra insert into the front bumper? I love the look of the insert but hate the look of it just being tapped on.

Edited the title to make the new information easier to find On google

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I think on the real '93 Cobra it's not part of the bumper, it's cut in.

It's done a lot cleaner than the cerbinis style insert however.

I have one for my car all painted up, but never got around to the install. Can't take it upon myself to cut the bumper

Reactions: 1 user
Im a idiot. the whole “tapped” typo got me. I think I’m going to try it on my aftermarket bumper I have and try it on. I like the way it looks. Davedacarpainter might have some insight on molding it in but it might be kinda though. We’re they molded from the factory? I don’t think so.

Last edited:
On a previous mustang i molded the sides of the emblem. The front would look bad with the bottom line molded. The factory cobra piece is not molded on. The sides by the turn signals drove me a little crazy. Didn't really fit well...so...i molded it to the gt nose with bondo hair. My insert was fiberglass.

You can see where they blended it in.

Attachments

• 36101BE1-72B3-4110-8A0C-98FAFE16C7A2.jpeg
    36101BE1-72B3-4110-8A0C-98FAFE16C7A2.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 202
I put one on my 93GT years ago, it's not molded in just standard mounting.
I wonder given the flexibility of that area if the filler will crack over time, I guess if you use
some type of flexible filler you'd be ok....just thinking out loud.
Last year when I had my car out I was kind of wishing I had just left it stock..once you cut the
bumper there's no going back...I go back and forth with it.

Any close up pics of them installed?

I painted these about a decade ago and haven't convinced myself to install. I probably won't do the bumper filler, but the grill stays in the back of my mind.

I'm just afraid of it looking badly tacked on

IMG_6041.JPG

There really isn’t any flexible filler that would work imo. You won’t want to fill in the space between the bumper and grille with Bondo. I think the original way of mounting it is the way to go.

Pulled the winter slumber cover back and snapped a few quick pics.

Attachments

• P2410207.JPG
    P2410207.JPG
    605 KB · Views: 225
  • P2410208.JPG
    P2410208.JPG
    665.5 KB · Views: 223
  • P2410209.JPG
    P2410209.JPG
    645 KB · Views: 204
  • P2410211.JPG
    P2410211.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks..l remember when I installed it there was no template supplied so I was nervous
about making the cut out too big. Took a little off at a time, something to keep in mind
when installing.

If you want to mould it into the bumper use panel bonding adhesive. Trust me, that’ll hold. It forms really nicely with sandpaper too.

I don’t really know what a real cobra bumper looks like. I’ve seen so many with the inserts that I’m just not sure.

If you want to mould it into the bumper use panel bonding adhesive. Trust me, that’ll hold. It forms really nicely with sandpaper too.

I don’t really know what a real cobra bumper looks like. I’ve seen so many with the inserts that I’m just not sure.

I’m using a 2 part panel bond to fill
The old license plate holes. Was wondering if that’ll work.