Cobra Bumper Progress Thread

So I dont care if its as cool as a huge motor build progress thread, cause i love seeing other peoples progress threads. So im starting one for my new bumper cause seeing progress pics keeps me motivated! Yesterday i wet sanded out all the spider cracks and chips in the bumper, and its just about ready for primer. Then i took the current bumper off the car to assess the damages to the bumper support underneath. Well, its about 3/4" towards the drivers side of the car so ive gotta bend that back. I then test fit the new bumper on the car, and it doesnt contact the bumper support, but the fog lights dont line up with the cutouts in the bumper. Heres a few pics from today, enjoy!

Pre-sanding

P1010058.jpg

P1010065.jpg

Sanded

DSCN2399.jpg

DSCN2400.jpg

CASUALTIES!! Haha, my buddy was helping me pull the stock bumper off, and his hand slipped and the grill horse bit him! Haha the plastic covering on the horse popped off, and my buddy cracked his fingernail right in half...it was nasty.

DSCN2398.jpg

Test fitting

DSCN2394.jpg

DSCN2395.jpg

DSCN2396.jpg

Im going on vacation on Friday for a week, but hopefully when i get back we can prime and paint this badboy!

• Sponsors (?)

I remember doing that! (minus the repairing part)

fun stuff.

Did you do it all by hand? what grit of sandpaper did you use?

Yea I did it all by hand hahaha, ive got no fingerprints anymore:D I used 120 wet to get rid of all the spider cracking and bad spots, then go over the bumper in full. Then I used 400 wet for a final sanding. Took about 4-5 hrs total for all the sanding.

Yea I did it all by hand hahaha, ive got no fingerprints anymore:D I used 120 wet to get rid of all the spider cracking and bad spots, then go over the bumper in full. Then I used 400 wet for a final sanding. Took about 4-5 hrs total for all the sanding.

haha I know how that feels. I work for a wood finishing company and today I sanded for about 7 hours, lmfao.

What kind of paint are you going to use for the front bumper?

haha I know how that feels. I work for a wood finishing company and today I sanded for about 7 hours, lmfao.

What kind of paint are you going to use for the front bumper?

Well it depens on what my buddy at the body shop mixes for me. He told me when i was ready to spray the bumper, i should take the car in and he would mix me a quart of paint to match the rest of the car for $30. I used DuPont Nason for the rest of the car, but idk if thats what this guy uses. We shall see, ill keep this updated.

Looking great!

Just a tip, maybe you won't like it, but if it were me, before you put the bumper back on for good, paint the bottom of the rad. support either flat or low gloss black where it will show through the bumper opening.

Hmm pretty cool...looks good...Here how I fix those at work...d/a the paint chips and "spider cracks" out with 280 grit(180 then 280 if real bad)....d/a it ensures that most rock chips will be gone..which used bumpers have...primer it...3 coats...block sand dry with 280...guide coat and wet sand with 500 grit...seal the bumper...base coat...clear coat....btw Duponts nasson line is super duper cheap...I get the PPGs Cheaper line..I have 2 gallons of Dupont Chroma Base which is awesome stuff...have your buddy get that for ya through his dupont rep.

Not to be a ass but if anyone has any paint related questions feel free to ask me. Im not always right and there is more than one way to do a job I know...but Im willing to offer my knowlege to help out people finish thier cars.

Looking great!

Just a tip, maybe you won't like it, but if it were me, before you put the bumper back on for good, paint the bottom of the rad. support either flat or low gloss black where it will show through the bumper opening.

Thats an excellent idea, i didnt realize how aweful it looked thru the bumper. I guess since the opening on the cobra bumper is bigger, it makes more of a difference. Im actually gonna put a FMIC there just for show:rlaugh: jk

Juggalo - Thanks for the tips man! I dont have access to a DA sander, and im on a budget, so im using the 2 sanders god gave me haha. One question tho, how do i go about adding the flex agent. Is that mixed into the paint, or is that a sealer, or what. Please enlighten me a bit about flex agents...thanks!:nice:

The flex agent only goes in the clear. How you mix it depends on the type of clear you're using. You can get a paper with all the mixing ratios for your paint wherever you get the paint.

I had to fix my brothers cracked and peeling bumper after he went through a ditch. It's definitely not a fun job. After several hours I finally broke down and started using my electric sander. It went sooooo much faster after that.

The flex agent only goes in the clear. How you mix it depends on the type of clear you're using. You can get a paper with all the mixing ratios for your paint wherever you get the paint.

I had to fix my brothers cracked and peeling bumper after he went through a ditch. It's definitely not a fun job. After several hours I finally broke down and started using my electric sander. It went sooooo much faster after that.

Ok cool, good info. Man i cannot wait to get this thing painted! I got my foglights in the mail yesterday thanks to Justin (seventymach1)...thanks for the deal buddy!

Hmm pretty cool...looks good...Here how I fix those at work...d/a the paint chips and "spider cracks" out with 280 grit(180 then 280 if real bad)....d/a it ensures that most rock chips will be gone..which used bumpers have...primer it...3 coats...block sand dry with 280...guide coat and wet sand with 500 grit...seal the bumper...base coat...clear coat....btw Duponts nasson line is super duper cheap...I get the PPGs Cheaper line..I have 2 gallons of Dupont Chroma Base which is awesome stuff...have your buddy get that for ya through his dupont rep.

Not to be a ass but if anyone has any paint related questions feel free to ask me. Im not always right and there is more than one way to do a job I know...but Im willing to offer my knowlege to help out people finish thier cars.

Im such a paint rookie.......d/a = ??????????????

Better than me ... I still have no clue.

Glad to hear it's coming together Michael. BTW, the last couple of times I tried to message you, your box was full. :D

Keep us posted once you get back!

Well its all cleaned out now...i just wanted to let you know i got the lights on wednesday, and i sent the money order out either tuesday or wednesay...i just wanted to know if you recieved it or not...just lemme know either here or via PM...thanks!:nice:

Man I wish things happened like this for me. Stock stuff gets ruined, find a better peice for cheaper than a replacement stocker haha. I guess being plagued by the gas tank problems finally turned themselves around huh? I need to get to work on my car, theres like a weekend's worht of work left, but I'm broke and have nooo time. I promise I'll finish her up soon, then maybe we can finally meet lol.

hahaha to be honest, i dont know what it stands for either...its a small palm sander that rotates around with a sandpaper disc on it, and its used for bodywork:D thats about as best i can do

"d/a" = "dual action". It works like an orbital polisher in that the sandpaper cuts small orbital circles as well as spins at various speeds to not cut the same grooves over and over.