Cobra REAR brakes on a fox...

yellow86

Founding Member
Jul 30, 2001
Vancouver BC Canada
hey guys i have bought everything to swap over the fronts to 99 cobra brakes on my fox body... but i bought cobra slotted rotors and from what i understand I need to change the rear brakes for the bigger rear rotors to fit.... i have tried searching and reading matts site and everything but iam still stuck! can someome please clairify for me!

Thanks alot guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Adam Dugger said:
from your wording I have no idea what you are even asking.

Matt has the entire parts listing on his site.. please be more specific with the question..
lol ok.... well i have a 86 stang i just converted to 5 lug by using all Sn95 parts... i have 99 cobra calipers for the front and cobra rotors... all i need to know is what i have to do to make the REAR cobra rotors fit on my car! :shrug: hope that helps u a bit :D

lol no thats not what i ment.... sorry for the confusion..
I have all front and rear cobra rotors... i have everything i need for the front(calipers, brackets, lines and rotors) but i also have rear rotors... iam wondering what i need to do to get the rear rotors on...

The parts list can be confusing. You will need cobra Rear Caliper Mounting Flanges (these are the metal plates that bolt to your axle and have two holes to mount the rear calipers to). You need these because the cobra rotors are taller and these will give you the clearance you need as opposed to GT flanges. You will also need cobra caliper brackets (these are part of the rear caliper and slide over the rear rotor and hold the brake pads.) you need a cobra unit because the cobra rotor is thicker than a GT rotor. You can modify GT caliper brackets by grinding them to open them up a little. Thats what I did and it worked well and costs much less.
You will need to modify your existing porportioning valve and install an adjustable valve as per the website already mentioned.
You will also need a new master cylinder from a 94-95 V6, GT or cobra -also mentioned in the website.

I took my time and did mine, it wasnt too complex but it was alot of labor.
In hindsight, I would probably have just went with GT rear discs. The cobra units are only slightly bigger but they will cost alot more to install (specific rotors, mounting flange, pads and caliper bracket).
Good luck

The Cobra rear discs are very easy to do. Just grind the caliper bracket that fits over the disc with a dremel or die grinder. That will save you about $90, ($45 per side). The caliper to axle bracket will cost you though. First you need to decide what length axle you are going to go with, stock Ranger length or SN95. Then you can buy the correct brackets. If you want Ranger/stock axles, look at North Cobra. Great quality steuff. If you have SN95 stlye, look at Disc brakes are us. They can fix you up with the right set up.

thanks alot guys! that had really helped me out ALOT... but isn't there a way i can make the brackets. my father is a wicked fabracator is if give him some pics and measurements. he can build me something for dirty cheap.. (not $150 US... hehe i live in canada) has anything tried this before?

If he can weld or has access to a metal brake, you could easliy make your own brackets. I have been thinking about doing this myself, because I want to use a custom length axle. Look at NorthCobra.com and they have pics of the brackets on there. Just do a little measuring and you will get it done. The ones that northcobra sells are just heavy sheet metal that has been bent and drilled for the dust shields. It is totally possible to make your own.