Code Reader Results

DSB88GT

Nov 6, 2016
Back in March of this year, I finally got my 88 GT all sorted. I have put a few thousand miles on it over the summer, and it continues to run beautifully. Since the car is running perfectly, I purchased a code reader to do a baseline as I expected there to be quite a few error codes as all the emissions equipment (smog pump, cats) was removed by the previous owner. Much to my surprise, both the KOEO and Continuous returned 11's.

I could see the KOEO returning an 11, but shouldn't there be codes stored for the lack of emission equipment?

• Sponsors (?)

It won't set a code for missing cats. There is no way for the computer to know since there aren't O2 sensors after the cats. Maybe the car was tuned so it would ignore the other stuff that was removed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
If the car has a lot of aftermarket parts like cylinder heads, stroker crank, intake manifold, etc, it may have a custom tune chip that bypasses checking all the smog equipment.
There are some simple ways to disable the error codes, but they create their own problems that don't show up in a code dump. However, they do affect the engine's efficiency, economy and emissions.

Reactions: 1 user