Cold Air Intake Upgrade

susheelover

Mar 19, 2007
So I bought a CAI kit, went to install it and everything is fine except for my MAF sensor, which is some huge plastic thingamaboob. I looked at the other photos on the website that I ordered it from and the MAF sensors are small and have the same circumfurence as the kit's intake. My Pony is a 2001. Did they make them differente before? Saw one on ebay for over $200. I paid $74 for the whole kit. Who can help me?:(

• Sponsors (?)

Need pics of the intake, or a link to the web page where the item is sold. I presume the CAI you bought uses your stock MAF sensor and housing, so the throttle body side of your stock MAF housing should indeed be the same size as the kit intake tube. If your CAI kit requires you to remove your MAF sensors from the stock plastic housing, seriously consider not installing it. Not saying that it isn't easy to remove the sensors and transfer them to another housing, but that is a finely calibrated piece and really shouldn't be modified in most vehicles

The MAF is inside the big plastic housing being held in with 2 screws. Just remove it and bolt it to the CAI. Don't loose the screen though, you might need it. A lot of guys (including me) had irratic idling and stalling without the screen so you might have to reuse it.

Yes it worked! Thank you!!
I had to take my MAF sensor out of that huge piece of plastic. There were two bolts, and pry off the rubber grommetf or the wiring. Then the sensor could be bolted to my CAI kit.
Took some doing and a little improv, but now it is bolted, secure and no air leaks!
Even my Tornado Fuel Saver fit in there.
If you go to Americanmuscle.com> Fuel and Induction>Cold Air Intake> mine is a 2001 Pony. Then click on the CAI kit that is in the upper right corner.($74.99) Then you will see pics of installed ones...mine is yellow.
Love this forum....:nice:

No screen, no issues at least for me :)

My CAI worked fine without the screen too but when I went back to the stock intake and a K & N filter and no silencer I forgot the screen and it didn't run right at all. Put it back in and runs great again. I thought it was to catch anything that might get in there but it's to stabilize the air flow. I have heard a lot of guys with K & N CAI's with some complaints and the fix was to put the screen back in.

That is weird and I've heard that from lots of people. It seems to be mainly the K & N CAI that has that problem. My personal beliefe is the shape of the K & N is why. The K & N is not the same size, it has a wide section and I think the air moves around too much then where the other CAI's are just round tubing so the air flows through straighter.