cold air intakes!?

mustangkid05

Mar 10, 2006
alot of ppl been telling me that they do not make any power they are just for looks.....is this true, if not which ones add power and how much do they cost, and does it make it whistle a little?'

ted

• Sponsors (?)

Ah yes, the chrome CAI, very pretty to gaze upon, and they make a very
cool air rush sound when you hit the gas. What more could you ask for.
You get a nice reusable air filter too. IMO you will get some hp.
But it seems there are some CAI haters out there, who cares, I say get 1.
:nice:

i just installed a JLT Cold air on my 04GT and i noticed a diffrence up top... as well as an increase in throttle response. i believe that what i paid was worth it since it seems to perform and it looks cool, i paid the extra 20 bucks or so to have it painted DSG to match my car, so i think it was worth it... if for no other reason it makes the engine bay look hella good.
intake1small.JPG

RoadconeTuning said:
i just installed a JLT Cold air on my 04GT and i noticed a diffrence up top... as well as an increase in throttle response. i believe that what i paid was worth it since it seems to perform and it looks cool, i paid the extra 20 bucks or so to have it painted DSG to match my car, so i think it was worth it... if for no other reason it makes the engine bay look hella good.
intake1small.JPG
that looks good.

If your gonna get a CAI don't buy a metal one. The JLT above is nice. I chose a www.Demolet.com intake which is similar to JLT and then there is the K&N FIPK. I wouldn't buy any other besides those 3. I have had the BBK and C&L units and both looked good but both got extremely hot.

RoadconeTuning said:
intake1small.JPG
one thing i dont like about that is the change of the mass air sensor. Moving that isnt a good thing. I have the old demolet intake...the densecharger. No complaints about it

mustangkid05 said:
alot of ppl been telling me that they do not make any power they are just for looks.....is this true, if not which ones add power and how much do they cost, and does it make it whistle a little?'

Previous posters speak the proven truth. If you are asking if your $200+ dollars are best spent doing your 1st mod on a CAI, then the answer is no..

i got my intake used for 100. With the cams it helped out a lot . If you are looking for a order to do things i'd say
shifter(if 5 speed)
catback
gears
long tubes and midpipe
plenum & t/b
intake
pullies

the reason i say catback before gears is with the stock catback these cars dont like to pull up top. I would put the lt's down further if you dont mind getting a midpipe and then buying another one later on for the lt's

I'm going by what i experience and how i would do it if i did it again. I went completly out of order(blew my headgaskets so cams came sooner then wanted)
shifter
catback
gears
springs/shocks/struts
k&n filter only
midpipe
cams
built rear
plenum & t/b
intake
different springs
clutch and flywheel
long tubes
pullies

Mustang5L5 said:
What about a combo of CAI, 70mmTB and a aftermarket plenum all in one shot?

This that would give a good gain?
you would see a bigger gain yes but it will be mostly becuase of the plenum and t/b. The problem is your gaining so little hp with the intake as far as peak goes. You do however get better throttle responce and up top gains with an intake. Dyno gains with an intake are hard. If you went to the same dyno had the car running at the same temp and had the same weather conditions you will see a gain(not huge but a gain). People have bashed intakes and questioned gains becuase of variables(different dynos, different weather, temps etc..) Don't expect to run a tenth faster or gain 10rwhp, but will gain probely 3-5. Is it worth the money then its up to you but i will say every little bit counts when your n/a cause its hard to make a lot of power out of these things

mustangkid05 said:
JLT INTAKES.....everyone withthem tell me what you guys think of them?

thanks ted
I like it, but I did get the ram air instead of cold air. Heard that there not a big diff in power btween the two.I felt the car pull better from 4k up and gained about 9rwhp/tq with it, but thats in addition to the rest of the intake/exhaust mods. Should be a bit more with the vt stage 2 cams/spring and headers Im doing next month.

They "DO" add power. I put a roush cold air on my '99. Before installing when I revved it you heard no air at all. Now, you can hear it sucking like crazy, especially with the hood popped, you can hear it loudly sucking in air, which it did 'not' do stock. They're worth it, and I think Roush is the best. It looks stock, except for the name on it, and I gained some low end, around 2k, and a lil high end, it doesnt starve for air at redline like it did before.

:SNSign:

QuickCapri83 said:
They "DO" add power. I put a roush cold air on my '99. Before installing when I revved it you heard no air at all. Now, you can hear it sucking like crazy, especially with the hood popped, you can hear it loudly sucking in air, which it did 'not' do stock. They're worth it, and I think Roush is the best. It looks stock, except for the name on it, and I gained some low end, around 2k, and a lil high end, it doesnt starve for air at redline like it did before.

:SNSign:
Hate to tell you this, but if you pop the snorkle/silencer off the stock intake, it sounds the same, it just doesn't look as purdy.
In all the tests I've done, none of the intakes performed any better than the stocker with the silencer removed :(

if you are interested in a CAI just PM me. i removed mine this afternoon in preparation for the novi install this weekend. i dont need it anymore. it has a HUGE K&N filter on it. at least a 9 inch filter and you can feel a differance with it especially with the big filter. if you want it make me an offer, if not i may run it on my lawn mower!

CanadaStang said:
Hate to tell you this, but if you pop the snorkle/silencer off the stock intake, it sounds the same, it just doesn't look as purdy.
In all the tests I've done, none of the intakes performed any better than the stocker with the silencer removed :(

exactly....use that $200+ on gears or something CAIs are crap on a stock 2v