COMBO QUESTION!? SHOULD I CHANGE!

sixty7stango

Jun 3, 2002
dallas
here goes my combo...

*EFI SPYDER INTAKE VICTOR JR. PORTED ALL THE WAY THROUGH...
*AFR 185 HEADS PORTED 1.6 rr's
*TRICKFLOW STAGE 3 CAM
*powerdyne supercharger
*70mm accufab t/b
*cold air elbow
*custom piping for mass air piping and blower
*306 motor 9:1comp (flycut pistons)
*mac long tubes 1 5/8
*mac h-pipe
*flo-pro mufflers dumped
*30lb injectors
*75mm mass air
*msd 6al
*msd coil
*fms wires
*3.55 gears
*t5
* fp is set around 46
*timing is set around 10*

i have been wondering if this intake is too big for my combo..?
would a stage 2 ported cobra intake help me out, down low!?
how would it do up in high rpm.... and feedback would be appreciated...
im going turbo pretty soon, just want to get the most out of this lil combo for now... thnx !

all on a LIL 92 COUPE!

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, are you really dropping that much money at one time or do you already have some of this.

The injectors are WAY too small, they will max out on a blown motor below 400rwhp, and that combo depending on PSI is going to be closer to 600rwhp. I think you are trying to shoot for the sky, or just dreaming. The stock block will not put up with that much power for too long, and with that HCI combo on a little 306 your going to have to spin to 8000rpm.

I might lose some compression and get domed pistons for a blown motor. Not sure if you can use domed pistons with AFR's? I remember hearing something about that.:shrug:

3 inch pipes all the way back. I'd consider a sportsman block or Dart but there pricey and worth it so you dont have to worry about your block splitting in two. The T5 isnt gonna hold to much abuse.

2NDTIME said:
Wow, are you really dropping that much money at one time or do you already have some of this.

The injectors are WAY too small, they will max out on a blown motor below 400rwhp, and that combo depending on PSI is going to be closer to 600rwhp. I think you are trying to shoot for the sky, or just dreaming. The stock block will not put up with that much power for too long, and with that HCI combo on a little 306 your going to have to spin to 8000rpm.

well the setup is already done,,,
speedalliance2.gif

anyways, the car was dynoed with the old setup

dynoed 450rwhp

AFR 185'S
VICTOR 5.0 INTAKE
TRICKFOW STAGE 2 CAM
9LBS OF BOOST
NO MSD 6AL YET,
with the 30lb injectors on a hot day...(iced the intake down a bit)

with the new setup it dynoed
441rwhp w/a fresh motor, new heads new springs,ported a bit
bigger intake
bigger cam
same injectors.
9lbs of boost, except this time, the spark was not enough at top end,so we shifted sooner...

im really hoping to get this resolved, it takes forever to get up there in teh rpm;s

(im thinking of slapping on a stage 2 ported cobra intake, might help out low end...) but i dont know...

Well kick ass then. I think it should be making more power. My friend is at 405rwhp and he has a gt40p, track heat, TFst 1, and 10# pulley only showing 9lbs.

You have much better parts, I think you should be making better power

2NDTIME said:
Well kick ass then. I think it should be making more power. My friend is at 405rwhp and he has a gt40p, track heat, TFst 1, and 10# pulley only showing 9lbs.

You have much better parts, I think you should be making better power

kool. well i slapped on the 11lb pulley, just have to hook up the boost guage to see what its getting...
im thinking of getting methanol/water injection on this sucker....

what have you guys heard of the kit?

thnx...

So are you saying that your new combo made less horsepower than the old one? I think you made some things too big. A ported cobra intake on your combo will be restrictive up top( they are good for 400-450 hp), especially with more boost, but yes it should add a little down low. Water injection will add plenty of power the more boost you have (tune it on the methanol inj instead of race gas at the dyno). After 500 hp or so you will need bigger injectors. Your efi spyder intake is probably too big for the combo you have listed, but if you are going turbo soon just keep it, don't waste money on a cobra intake even a ported one: a trick flow or holley systemax 2, or edelbrock perfomer rpm 2 intake would be much better untill you add the turbo and lots of boost. You should have enough spark once you add the msd setup you described, that should solve that prob. My advice would be to stick with one combo and keep working with it untill you have it maxed out, you definately should be making more power. Why are you adding a turbo, just get the combo sorted out and you will gain as much or more power than if you bolted on a turbo to you current power numbers. If you are definately building a turbo motor, you should be buying things for that set up which will be different than what you have already. Just my opinions, hope it helps. Peace