Comparing the 2011 Mustang V6 ....

Comparing the 2011 Mustang V6 .... (streamlined down)

Comparing the 2011 Mustang V6 .....

How do YOU think the 2011 v6 Mustang will compare to ALL the PREVIOUS Base Model year's v8 offerings in areas of performance and handling?

Will the new v6 come close to any generation GT or LX 5.0 models of the last 30 years in performance or handling?

Will it be considered a Muscle car or not, even if it can hold its own with the older "muscle car " Mustangs?

and if the v6 falls short in your opinion ... how little would be needed to be done to match these great Stangs of the 80's, 90' and 00's?

And even how will it compare to Special Edition Stangs such as the mid 90's Cobras, 2 offerings of Bullitts and the Mach 1?

• Sponsors (?)

Well I am happy about what they are doing with the new V6 mustang. I was already happy with the previous 4.0L it was a good engine with an even greater history behind them (read up on the cologne V6 platform and you'll see) I also remember reading that already the 4.0L was on par performance wise with the 5.0 Foxes which is really good if you want a decent level of performance with the economy to go with it.

The new v6 is still down on torque and that is what gets the car moving. No way will a stock 2011 v6 be in the high 13's, not enough grunt to get that done.

true, as someone named shelby once said, "torque wins races, and horsepower sells cars". Power comes more into play when you are fighting wind resistance, so once your getting up around 80mph and such, or if your concerned about top speed. Torque is what gets you up off the line. Its also what spins your tires, so massive torque is only as good as your grip.

Anyhow. I dont think the new V6 is really going to compare to the 4.6 for two reasons; one, the lack of torque, and two, the sound. The V6 is going to be an amazing engine, but it will compete more with the older M3s, and Nissan 370s. It is more of a lightweight race car with good balance. It will not be a muscle car. Muscle cars have a certain soundtrack and umph that is just not there.

true, as someone named shelby once said, "torque wins races, and horsepower sells cars". Power comes more into play when you are fighting wind resistance, so once your getting up around 80mph and such, or if your concerned about top speed. Torque is what gets you up off the line. Its also what spins your tires, so massive torque is only as good as your grip.
I can put a two foot long breaker bar on a lug nut, and step my 300lbs butt on the end and get 600 ft-lbs at the wheel. Torque doesn't mean jack-squat! :D Saying that, I do love the low end horsepower in my V8. :)

When Shelby said that about torque, cars had three speed transmissions and needed a strong horsepower curve to cover the wide ratios. The broad horsepower curve translates into high torque in the midrange. The New V6 has 6 speeds and will easily run 13's without great midrange torque. Check out the 350Z for comparison.