Computer people! Sorry-not mustang related

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
I know its not mustang related but thought someone might know on here. My parents bought a new computer awhile ago which came with microsoft office 2007. I activated it with the key, etc, and it was working fine. About a month ago I got a lap top from someone. It only had microsoft words(2003). I needed powerpt and excel for a project so I used the cd(microsoft office 2007) that came with my parents computer and used the acitvation key. Well I just got a call from my mom saying that words is asking her to reactivate it but only the by phone option appears. Now, she only has trial capabilities. My aunt tried to help figure it out and told me that she found something that said the activation key has been used 25 times? IF anything it was twice by me on my parents computer and on my lap top. I told my parents to just call tmrw to see what they say.(i live almost 3 hours away from my parents house so trying to do what i can over the phone). Anyways, do you think this happened because i activated it on my lap top as well? I found online that there is no way to unregister and I dont have internet anymore on my lap top. I read something else that said to delete the Opa12.dat file, but im not sure if I need to. ANY IDEAS ON THIS??? Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

It's either you've got a virus or windows has identified that your cd key has been used multiple times. If Microsoft Office is saying to activate by phone only, it's most likely a virus. Office should ususally offer to activate over the internet as well.

To make sure it's not a virus, have your parents download, install, and run Avast!.
http://www.avast.com/

It's a freebie antivirus program, but it's better than Norton Antivirus and WAY better than McAffee. If it doesn't find a virus then you're in the clear. You still probbably won't be able to activate microsoft word or any of the office programs from your parent's computer because it's already in use. You can try though.