Confused about MAF/CAI questions!!

cmills26

Nov 26, 2003
I have a 95 Cobra, which is pretty much stock except for Flowmasters, O/R h-pipe, U/D pullies, K&N Filter charger system. I am looking to change out my K&N for a Mac Cold Air Induction system plus upgrading my MAF to a larger size. I don't plan on making any huge mods, such as blower, nitrious or anything like that since this is my daily driver. What size MAF would you guys suggest using the MAC cold air system? I was thinking of going with the C&L 73mm. Is this a good size for me? Do I need to do anything else?

• Sponsors (?)

I have read some posts saying that if you use a MAC cai that you couldn't use the Pro-M 77 or something like that. Does anyone have any info on this? Tell me what would be the best setup for me!!! Thanks

cmills26 said:
I have a 95 Cobra, which is pretty much stock except for Flowmasters, O/R h-pipe, U/D pullies, K&N Filter charger system. I am looking to change out my K&N for a Mac Cold Air Induction system plus upgrading my MAF to a larger size. I don't plan on making any huge mods, such as blower, nitrious or anything like that since this is my daily driver. What size MAF would you guys suggest using the MAC cold air system? I was thinking of going with the C&L 73mm. Is this a good size for me? Do I need to do anything else?

C&L is bad voodoo, if you're getting a new MAF, go for a Pro-M. What is the stock MAF on a cobra? Is it the same as a GT?

Therian said:
C&L is bad voodoo, if you're getting a new MAF, go for a Pro-M. What is the stock MAF on a cobra? Is it the same as a GT?

im not sure if its the exact same as the GT but i know that when buying a MAF for the cobras you have to buy one thats calibrated for 19's

VIPERn94Five-0 said:
get a pro-m 80mm and make your own cold air....MUCH cheaper...and actually works better :nice:

Anthony
What would the difference be between say the Pro-M 88mm, and a Pro-M 77mm? Is is possible to get a MAF that is "to large for your mods"? I have no idea how the MAF comes into play other than if you get a bigger aftermarket one it adds power.....learn me the ways!!! :D

Ethereal Zer0 said:
What would the difference be between say the Pro-M 88mm, and a Pro-M 77mm? Is is possible to get a MAF that is "to large for your mods"? I have no idea how the MAF comes into play other than if you get a bigger aftermarket one it adds power.....learn me the ways!!! :D
the difference between the pro-m 80 and 77 is get this....the 80 flows better and costs less! cant go wrong there! :nice: and no the MAF your ok....an 80 is fine....dont go bigger than 65 or 70 for a TB though.....

Anthony

The difference with a CL vs Pro77 would be the CAI connections..

the CL would be more an "inline" set-up....tube runs down from TB,1/2 way or so, the MAF is connected, tube continues to your airfilter...Mac uses the same set-up...

the Pro77 is more an "end of line" setup....tube runs down, mafs on the end, then the airfilter...most of us make homemade PCV CAI's setups for the 77 and 80..stuff the filter/MAF in the fender, run a tube straight to the TB...

the Pro 77 has a huge, like 4 1/2" opening, and the airfilter is connected with 3 studs, uses a specific airfilter...A CL 73 or Pro 75 Bullet is more an "inline" type MAF for use in a purchased CAI...

This is the C&L setup I use and it works great. It's a 76mm meter and 76mm flow tube. A 9" K&N filter mounts on the end of the meter and is protected from excess heat by the shield. If you use a cold air kit that has a 90 degree bend right before the meter, the meter may have problems getting a "good read" because of air turbulence.

engine2.jpg

Half the people here like Pro-M and the other C&L.

RIO5.0 said:
The difference with a CL vs Pro77 would be the CAI connections..

the CL would be more an "inline" set-up....tube runs down from TB,1/2 way or so, the MAF is connected, tube continues to your airfilter...Mac uses the same set-up...

the Pro77 is more an "end of line" setup....tube runs down, mafs on the end, then the airfilter...most of us make homemade PCV CAI's setups for the 77 and 80..stuff the filter/MAF in the fender, run a tube straight to the TB...

the Pro 77 has a huge, like 4 1/2" opening, and the airfilter is connected with 3 studs, uses a specific airfilter...A CL 73 or Pro 75 Bullet is more an "inline" type MAF for use in a purchased CAI...

Actually, the C&L Trueflow system IS an "end of line" setup. The question of the day is, "Who's meter is better for our cars?"; this is impossible to answer nonbiasedly. Many use C&L and many use Pro-M. Plain and simple. C&L is usually more affordable and convenient which is why I use their meter. The whole thing is getting tiresome! Just pick your poison and drink it. :sleep:

Thanks 95BLBLVERT!!! I'm only gonna mention this cuz C&L gets picked on so much. I just installed my 76mm C&L last night and the computer didnt like it at first. Idle was very rough. But today its been pulling really hard and throttle response is considerably better too. Pay more for Pro-M or pay less for C&L plus have the ability to change injectors for only $30 on the MAF side. :) Just how I see it.

Oh, to answer your question, I would think that 73mm would be the minimum but I would recommend at least a 76mm

Ok, so I'm running a Densocharger. Which will work with my system?Can I get a kit with just the pipe and the meter without the electronics and the K & N? I'm happy this cme up because I was about to post on this. Will I see any gains from this up grade?

cmozez said:
Ok, so I'm running a Densocharger. Which will work with my system?Can I get a kit with just the pipe and the meter without the electronics and the K & N? I'm happy this cme up because I was about to post on this. Will I see any gains from this up grade?

holspec.jpg

I think this is the kit you are using since DeMolet does not have a full-length kit for the 94-95. I think it would be possible to use the C&L TrueFlow pipe with a 76mm meter but you'd have to buy an adapter to mate the Densecharger pipe with the new meter (since the meter is not flanged). Problem is this....meters do not work well with a 90 degree bend in front of them. Pro-M developed a new meter that will work called the Univer.

3238MAF4-thumb.jpg

95BLBLVert said:
Actually, the C&L Trueflow system IS an "end of line" setup. The question of the day is, "Who's meter is better for our cars?"; this is impossible to answer nonbiasedly. Many use C&L and many use Pro-M. Plain and simple. C&L is usually more affordable and convenient which is why I use their meter. The whole thing is getting tiresome! Just pick your poison and drink it. :sleep:

We went from a Pro M to a C&L and there was no difference at all in the et or trap speed. The Pro M looked better though :D