connecting accelerator & cruise control cables on '98 GT

dochawk

Apr 12, 2023
I just can't find an image anywhere. All of my searches get overwhelmed with results to *buy* the cable and to replace the throttle body!

I replaced the intake manifold about three years ago, and then it wouldn't kick over. Apparently it also chose that moment for the fuel tank to get so corroded that it couldn't push gas.

So with a new fuel tank and pump housing with pump, it starts again.

But back near the beginning, I had to disconnect the accelerator cable to get the manifold out. I also broke the clip on the end of the cruise control cable.

We grabbed the wrong tip to the cable from the junk yard, but that's small in the problem and easily fixable with another trip.

Just can't remember how this goes back together!
IMG_0541.jpg

Apparently, i didn't take pictures of that section . (uncharacteristic, giving how many general photos I have of every repair!)

The end of accelerator (red) has to snap in to the cruise cable (orange), the spring must go from red to green, and I seem to recall that *something* went in the groove on the throttle mechanism.

does it matter which way the spring goes? that the filler fastens at one end makes me wonder.

IMG_0542.jpg

Also, I seem to have an open vacuum line at yellow. Any idea where that would go?

I picture of the installed parts in a 98 would be wonderful.

this is the only thing currently keeping this car from going back on the road!

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Sponsors (?)

I can tell you the spring goes on the yellow and green circled areas. The cruise snaps onto a similar peg on the throttle lever. The throttle cable has to be installed by rotating the throttle body lever to allow the cable end to be placed in the slot, then release the throttle. I don't have a picture, but my '02 was similar prior to a Coyote swap.

Thank you.

Here it is installed:

accel_installed.jpg

The plastic handle on the accelerator cable (the one which is metal to the end, including the nub) fit's into a frame at the black oval.

It then goes *under* the rotating assembly of the throttle (light blue arrow), sitting in the channel, and it's metal nub snaps in.

*after* it is in, the plastic end of the cruise control snaps onto the protruding nub of the accelerator table.

but by the time it was on, Hagerty was closed, and I had to wait for this morning to drive it!

The yellow cap next to the black oval is on the as yet unidentified vacuum line.