Considering swap: 05/06 Mustang 5spd auto into 2001 Mustang

stangg01

Mar 17, 2006
I need a new transmission. I'm concidering a TKO swap and an auto swap. My current tranny is a TR3650 which is in the new 05/06 Mustangs. Because of this, I believe the new Mustang 5spd auto(5r55s) will fit. This new tranny is a drive by wire type.
1) Can I make it a stand alone tranny?
2) If not, how can I integrate the 5r55s to work in my 2001?
Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

stangg01 said:
I need a new transmission. I'm concidering a TKO swap and an auto swap. My current tranny is a TR3650 which is in the new 05/06 Mustangs. Because of this, I believe the new Mustang 5spd auto(5r55s) will fit. This new tranny is a drive by wire type.
1) Can I make it a stand alone tranny?
2) If not, how can I integrate the 5r55s to work in my 2001?
Any ideas?

It's possible but not worth it at all. the 05+ mustang uses a completely different type of drive train management. you would end up rewiring the entire car to get that to work. this is not simple like swaping a t-3650 in place of a auto where some changes to the as built data and the pcm will work.

I would not even consider that.

I would just do a tko and call it good. no sence having to spend all that time researching the new auto to have a slower car in the end. swaps always bring up small issues to work through that take time and or money.