Contour Fans & Factory ECU

Fri Guy

15 Year Member
May 10, 2007
Looking to upgrade my older Spal fans with the Contour Fans and Mounting Kit from LMR in the near future on my 1990 GT. I'm currently running a older DCC Fan Controller. Any of you running the DDC Controller with your Contour Fans? If so can you let me know how you wired up everything? I'm not very good with electrical stuff on my car and would hate to wire something incorrectly. Also, if there is a better fan controller to use instead with these fans please let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure. I have Mark VIII fans and DCC controllers in both my cars for 10+ years so based on my experience with the quality I tend to recommend them.

I know several of the guys run the Contour fans with controllers so they should chime in.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been running some dual Spal fans without that 2SPA. Does that mean I've been running them incorrectly? I'm not the one who did the install, had a buddy long time do the work. These are the fans I'm running with the old DCC FK35 Controller.

Edit: I misunderstood your original response. I thought I needed to add the 2SPA to the FK35 controller I'm currently running. Will my FK35 work with the Contour fans or would I need to ditch it and go with the 2SPA? Also looked at the Dakota Digital Controller but not sure if it has the soft start feature. Still running my stock ECU as well.

Last edited:
You will need the 2SPA to control the two fan Contour setup such that it starts one fan at a set temperature and then the second fan 10 degrees hotter. I do not believe you can parallel the two Contour fans and have the FK35 successfully start them at the same time like one fan as the inrush will be too high but I could be wrong. The FK35 can work with a Mark VIII fan and they have a pretty high inrush when starting.

If it were me I would sell the FK35 and buy the 2SPA but I like the idea of the two fans running independently.

Email DCC and see what he says.

You will need the 2SPA to control the two fan Contour setup such that it starts one fan at a set temperature and then the second fan 10 degrees hotter. I do not believe you can parallel the two Contour fans and have the FK35 successfully start them at the same time like one fan as the inrush will be too high but I could be wrong. The FK35 can work with a Mark VIII fan and they have a pretty high inrush when starting.

If it were me I would sell the FK35 and buy the 2SPA but I like the idea of the two fans running independently.

Email DCC and see what he says.
Thanks, when I first bought the FK35 it was to use with the Mark VIII fan but once I added the S-Trim I had to do with different fans and used the dual spal fans with the same controller. But it's never really seemed to cool my car that great. And the fans will come on together but they don't look like they spin really fast.

I just emailed him and see when I get a response back. Will let you guys know what he says.

Thanks, when I first bought the FK35 it was to use with the Mark VIII fan but once I added the S-Trim I had to do with different fans and used the dual spal fans with the same controller. But it's never really seemed to cool my car that great. And the fans will come on together but they don't look like they spin really fast.

I just emailed him and see when I get a response back. Will let you guys know what he says.
Same for me. Had FK35 with Mark VIII. After new radiator, etc, Mark VIII wouldn't fit any more. Changed to Contour fan with same FK35. You need the input filter to use the FK35 or any of his PWM controllers.
It's at the bottom of this link: http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm
."..It is also required to allow running the low-impedance Ford dual fans."
sfilter.gif
Install instructions are here;

Last edited:
  • Useful
He still hasn't responded back. I have no problem running the 2SPA if that is what I need. What are the differences between the 2SPA and FK35? Looking for a solid way to run the contour fans in this Texas heat.

I'm wondering how they wired up my dual spal fans with the FK35 if that is not the correct controller.

My guess is the Spal fans wired in parallel did not draw more amps than the rating of the FK35. Checked the DCC site and it states that the FK35 will handle up to 35A of continuous current and they say not to worry about the in rush when the fan is starting from a dead stop. It appears that on high speed the dual Contour fans pull around 30-35 amps (found multiple sources on various forums stating this) so I would say wire them up in parallel and see what happens.

I've been running 20amp fuses ( one each ) for my Contour fans for about 8 years. I got them from the junk yard out of a 2002 cougar. They shouldn't pull anywhere near 30amps on start up. I run the high and low on 30 amp relays with battery power through individual 20 amp fuses. Controlled by MSPNP2 through ground trigger on the relays.

Finally got a response back from him and this was his response. (If you have the 1.5ks filter installed, it should work fine.).

As of right now I don't have the 1.5ks filter installed with my dual spal fans. I'd like to know if there would be any benefits if I replaced the FK35 with the 2SPA. If one would work better than the other for cooling. Looks like I need the 1.5ks filter with the FK controllers and don't need it with the 2SPA.