Convert to dual Exhaust 71 Mustang Mach1

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
My 71 Mach 1 has single exhaust. I would like to convert to dual. Can I just have to cut out the existing Y and connect a new H pipe, run the new pipes with new mufflers?
Where can I get the best fitting dual exhaust kits and what brand to have a nice powerful song.
The engine is a 351 winsor with 4 bbl carb.

Attachments

• 20181023_093309_resized.jpg
    20181023_093309_resized.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Sponsors (?)

look for an exhaust catalog online, the walker catalogs have actual pictures of the parts, you can compare the "y" pipe to the "H" pipe and see if they are the same at the engine end. If not you will need to buy the correct manifold, or have the exhaust made at an exhaust shop.

wont have to be a mach 1, any 71 mustang. After I posted that I took a look around and came up blank, but a couple of notes I may add. Are you sure it's a windsor? I'm not sure about '71, but in 70 a 351 4v was a cleveland, and a 351 2v was a windsor. Unless someone replaced the manifold and added the 4bbl. I actually owned a '70 Mach 1 with a 351W 2bbl , a 3 speed std. trans, and a shaker hood. All factory. Not sure what kind of person would have ordered that new, but I owned it.

Last edited:
It came out of the factory as a 302 2V Winsor. Someone replaced it with a 351 Winsor 4 bbl manifold. The thing was they used an adaptor and used the 2 bbl original carb. I did not know this until the card started leaking and the mechanic told me. I purchased a 4 bbl carb and had it put on.
The number of bolts on the value covers is how I know it is a winsor not a cleveland.