convertible top "twisted"

forango

Feb 19, 2003
south florida
I recently purchased a 1984 Convertible...I knew going in the top needed some adjusting and yesterday I got the majority of it adjusted aside from one issue that I have no idea which adjustment to make. The passenger side is higher at the front header. It closes ok with some added pressure just to get the hook to engage. As seen in the pictures I adjusted the fore/aft forwarded but it really didn't help...It is almost as if the front edge is "twisted". The PO thought the top was too tight on that tight, but if that is indeed the case I do not know how to adjust the tension on the fabric.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 83
  • top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 91
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 80
  • top3.jpg
    top3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 86
  • top4.jpg
    top4.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Sponsors (?)

The only way to adjust the tightness of the fabric is to let the sun heat it up for a few days. The fabric is stapled and glued on under the header seal.

Being in Florida the fabric is already plenty heated up and sitting in the sun hasn't helped. I am not even sure if that is the cause of my issue really.

I am wondering if adjusting the tension on the fabric cable/spring would help to allow that side to travel farther?

Mine was similar. I had to pull down the passenger side to get the hook to engage. I got a new top put on and I still need to do that. The only other frame of reference I have is a relative's 86 that does the same.

I'm not saying it's normal, but common.

Reactions: 1 user
Around the rear of the top, inside the car, there are a bunch of nuts holding the rear brackets . Unzip and remove the lower window curtain with the bracket. Pay attention because shims ( washers ) may be installed behind it. Remove that right side bracket and see if the top settles down.

Technically, the bow controls the tension on the front of the top. That's why on an older car the back can rip up but the top still stays tight between the bow and windshield. The tension cables can cause some issues closing. There should be a spring at the end of the cable screwed to the top frame behind quarter window.

Over the years I have come across new cables that where either longer or shorter.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Yes. Move it up and use a self tapping screw to reinstall....or get a different length spring. When screwing a tapping screw in the frame be careful. Back and forth to keep from stressing the frame. I've never cracked one but always been careful. Could drill a pilot hole with the correct bit, also.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Here's something weird on convertible top alignment. I had my top down and the car in the garage for an extended period. I went to move the car outside to make room for another project. When I tried to put the top up the pins simply would not line up. Neither side would reach the pin hole as they were too far towards the rear. The only way I could get it pined was to jack up on the rear bumper enough the cause body flex and move the pins towards the windshield frame. It worked and I was able to get it cinched down. Thank god for convertible body flex. :)

That one spring has almost no stretch on it. If that's the drivers side it could be adding to your problem. That cable could be a little longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's something weird on convertible top alignment. I had my top down and the car in the garage for an extended period. I went to move the car outside to make room for another project. When I tried to put the top up the pins simply would not line up. Neither side would reach the pin hole as they were too far towards the rear. The only way I could get it pined was to jack up on the rear bumper enough the cause body flex and move the pins towards the windshield frame. It worked and I was able to get it cinched down. Thank god for convertible body flex. :)
Subframe connectors
you likely could have left it in the sun so the fabric could relax a little and reach the latches.

I would say yes, they are pretty much a 'need to do' thing with convertible, strut tower brace too.
I've owned many convertibles, they all benefit from extra bracing.
Strut tower brace? Hmmm, my convertible doesn’t have one. I did install missing cross bracing under the k member and installed the missing front bumper reinforcement and those things helped but she still has a little flex when rolling over uneven surfaces. Do you think a strut tower brace will stiffen it up to any noticeable degree?

Strut tower brace? Hmmm, my convertible doesn’t have one. I did install missing cross bracing under the k member and installed the missing front bumper reinforcement and those things helped but she still has a little flex when rolling over uneven surfaces. Do you think a strut tower brace will stiffen it up to any noticeable degree?
The difference can be remarkable, just the strut tower brace will stop the cowel shake, sub frame connectors will do the rest. DOO EET!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users