Converting to '90-'93 Steering Wheel

I am considering buying a 1989 LX that is in beautiful shape. Only problem is, I can't get past how ugly that steering wheel is! Is it possible to swap it for a steering wheel from a '90-'93? A functioning airbag is preferred, but not necessary.

• Sponsors (?)

the sterring whell i think you may have top swap the whole colum. :shrug: the air back. only if you re wire car and put the sensers in the right places

the air bag is not worth the hassel. if you get hit in a fox you live to tell about get hit in a honda and RIP

GSP393 said:
You can always get a chrome chain steering wheel :). I put a leather SVO steering wheel on my 89 GT. MOMO makes some nice looking ones too. For the money you'll be spending on the airbag, plus the labor, you can do alot more to the car.
im with him

GSP393 said:
You can always get a chrome chain steering wheel :). I put a leather SVO steering wheel on my 89 GT. MOMO makes some nice looking ones too. For the money you'll be spending on the airbag, plus the labor, you can do alot more to the car.

:stupid: Get a custom wheel. Grant Momo there are plenty to choose from.

Grant makes a good wheel.

Grant GT Signature series 15" steering wheel.
DSC00120.jpg

Grant Formula $80
http://www.mustang-50.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=774+01&Category=Accessories&subCategory=&CatKey=74-01
774-B.jpg

Grant Evolution $185
http://www.mustang-50.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=G1080+01&Category=Interior&subCategory=&CatKey=74-01
G1080-B.jpg

Momo Competition $200-$220
Imgcompetition.jpg

I would rock any of those. :nice:

Nah rig the air bag up in with a switch that controls your fuel pump, and to your ignition. So if you've got the hidden switch for your fuel pump shut off, your airbag is hot. So some thief tries to start it, he gets smacked with an airbag.

I don't think it's possible to put a 94+ wheel on a 87-89 tilt column. Everyone i've seen doing it puts it on a 90-93.

I'd love to put a SN95 wheel on my '88. I love the feel of my '03's steering wheel. Has anyone done it on a tilt column?

The guy I almost bought one off (04 wheel with airbag delete panel) said he has the same thing on his 87 or 88... I told him if he shows me pics and it looked good id buy it, but he never did... I have heard of one or two people doing it, but have yet to see a picture to make up my mind for me!

That appears to be a V6 wheel, which I would never do. A black GT leather wheel would be what I did (I also have 01 GT leather seats). Is that a 90+ car or an 89? Also anymore pics of it, especially from the side or any angle?