Kuwait-Foxbody

Apr 1, 2019
Kuwait
yesterday I was changing engine oil when I noticed that there is some coolant leaking (one little hot drop on My Head :scratch:). As I replaced the water pump last month so I thought one of the hoses claps not tie enough.

I start inspecting and I found some rust and little coolant drops coming out and that is on the back of the water pump (Driver Side)

at first I thought its the timing cover but not Sure cause of the dirt and oil sludge on block. I hope that it needs a new timing cover gasket

but if its the block how can I fix it :(

Attachments

• Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 283
  • Sponsors (?)

Took me awhile to figure out what area of the engine I was looking at, I noticed the gasket is wet above that so it may be the timing cover gasket, that happens sometimes when you change the water pump because some of the bolts for the water pump go through the cover and old gaskets are hard and no longer seal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like a timing cover leak. The cover mates to the block right at the wet area and coolant does pass through there.

Took me a while to see what I was looking at. That motor sure is grungy

Looks like it's got one of those timing covers with the mechanical fuel pump mount that isn't machined out. I'm guessing, mid 80's 5.0 engine?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Took me awhile to figure out what area of the engine I was looking at, I noticed the gasket is wet above that so it may be the timing cover gasket, that happens sometimes when you change the water pump because some of the bolts for the water pump go through the cover and old gaskets are hard and no longer seal.

it was too much tight for me to take a good picture, on the left end of the picture you can see the new clean water pump and the rust is between the timing cover and the block.

thinking to make an overhaul for the engine next couple of months i guess that it will be much earlier

Definitely spend time to clean all that grime off. It does make a difference in how cool the engine runs. All the dirt and oil creates an insulating layer that keeps heat trapped in and can make an engine run hotter.

• Agree
Looks like a timing cover leak. The cover mates to the block right at the wet area and coolant does pass through there.

Took me a while to see what I was looking at. That motor sure is grungy

Looks like it's got one of those timing covers with the mechanical fuel pump mount that isn't machined out. I'm guessing, mid 80's 5.0 engine?

thats an 87, the old owner had more than 8 clean foxbodys and no time for all of them

is it easy to remove the timing cover while the engine setting in its place?

thats an 87, the old owner had more than 8 clean foxbodys and no time for all of them

is it easy to remove the timing cover while the engine setting in its place?

Easy yes, but there's just a lot of stuff to remove to get access. Radiator, fan, water pump, and the harmonic balancer.

You'll need to get a tool to pull the balancer off. Looks like a steering wheel puller. Once off, be careful when removing the bolts that tread into the block as they are prone to seizing and snapping

• Useful