coolant light ?

68 & 00 GT

May 14, 2003
HOUSTON TEXAS
how do I get this bastard turned off ?

I had to swap a new "updated" PI intake in recently when my coolant runner cracked. So I lost some coolant - did the swap filled it back up, and have driven it ~200 miles since. The light is still on. Do I have to reset the computer to get rid of it too ? I thought that one would go off with the proper level fluid :shrug:

thanks -

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure the float in the overflow bottle isn't stuck and is moving freely. The light will go off on its own if the sender is giving an accurate level. No need for computer antics.

well I checked the little ring float, and it doesn't seem to float :shrug: the car was running cold, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Is it the little ring around that rod coming from the sensor ? It didn't seem like anythign was hooked up to the float ?

That should be it, and it should float. Sometimes, if I take a really sharp turn, it will get stuck. Sometimes it will free itself. Just make sure its floating freely. Hope you get it fixed.

I had a similar problem...make sure your using the proper mixture of coolant...I am not sure, but I think it has to be coolant and not water or too much water.
It must do a duel purpose...the level and the mixture have to be right.
Try adding some new coolant.
Rich

sounds like you just need to figure out why your coolant thingy isn't floating....it has nothing to do with the proper mixture and has nothing to do with the computer....if it's sticking and not floating you will trip the light.....I would just drain some coolant and try and stick your fingers in there or use a long screwdriver and play with it see if you can figure out why it's sticking....

mine comes and goes just like my CEL, i check the appropriate areas and if all is well, I continue on. Sensors act up all the time with age. If you are confident that your coolant is adequate and flowing, try what stallion98gt said, it works too.

YLW99VERT said:
I had a similar problem...make sure your using the proper mixture of coolant...I am not sure, but I think it has to be coolant and not water or too much water.
It must do a duel purpose...the level and the mixture have to be right.
Try adding some new coolant.
Rich
wonder if that has something to do w/ it. It moves freely up, and down. I pulled it up lightly w/ a long screwdriver, and it just falls straight back down. But I only put water in it b/c I'm trying to get more of a water mix anyway. Maybe once some antifreeze gets in there too it will float up :shrug: there is something to that b/c I remember the gauges that test the coolant / water mix have different colored little floating balls inside a syringe basically, and only certain ones will float dependant of the coolant / water mix. Isn't that right ? This is dumb, I need to get my car inspected. Not looking for a reason for them to feel the need to look under my car at the missing parts of my exhaust. :bang:

OK just finally got around to fixing this. The light was caused by my mix. I had too much water in my coolant mix which did cause the light to come on. I pulled my resivoir off completely, and filled it up w/ water only. The float doesn't float at all in water. Dumped it out, and filled it up w/ antifreeze / coolant only. Float goes to the top. Drained the radiator, and filled it up w/ antifreeze, and the light went off. Later on I'll drain it all, and get the mix right.

learn something new every day :bang:

68 & 00 GT said:
OK just finally got around to fixing this. The light was caused by my mix. I had too much water in my coolant mix which did cause the light to come on. I pulled my resivoir off completely, and filled it up w/ water only. The float doesn't float at all in water. Dumped it out, and filled it up w/ antifreeze / coolant only. Float goes to the top. Drained the radiator, and filled it up w/ antifreeze, and the light went off. Later on I'll drain it all, and get the mix right.

learn something new every day :bang:

that's good to know. thanks :nice: