Cooling Fan Options

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
93 Lx. Still has factory engine fan. Man this thing is loud. It’s a 9 blade. I also have a 7 blade. Do you think the 7 blade would be quieter?

What about electrical fan options? I have a good local supply of junkyard parts. I’ve heard people using dual fan setup and controls from other ford cars. Which parts from which year and models will fit nicely in the 93 Lx?

• Sponsors (?)

john, it's hard to beat the stock clucch fan. unless it is not cooling I would leave it be.
if you want a E fan,I would go with the contour dual fan and a FAL 33054 controller
The fan fits the radiator perfect and pulls well over 3300 cfm
20170318_174743.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I've been running Intrepid dual fans for years now with Flexalite VSC33054 controller.
Had to do a little trimming but they fit the radiator really well, believe the fan was for a
2002 Intrepid.
A lot of people run the Contour fans with great success, with any electric fan
make sure your wiring and alt. are up to the task.

I pulled the 9 blade fan and put the 7 blade one on. It’s larger in diameter and hit the shroud. I trimmed the ends of the plastic blades about 1/2”. It’s quieter than the 9 blade. But still a tad noisy

I've been fixing this car up mainly as a turn key reliable driver for my wife. Heck, now I'm enjoying it nicely too. I've never had a convertible before. It's not totally done yet but I took her for a drive in it last night. At one point she said, "get on it"! So I did. After I let off she said, "whats that noise"? I laughed and told her it was the engine fan.

While I'm contemplating an electric fan setup, there's one thing that's making me balk at that idea. It's auto trans and I'm running an aux cooler only, the lines are not plumbed through the radiator. The aux cooler is mounted directly in front of the radiator right in the middle of it. Aux cooler measures 12"x8" by 3/4" thick. It's adequate on it's own I'm sure, with an engine fan constantly moving air through it. Especially when sitting in traffic a good engine fan will still be pulling decent air amount of air at idle. The only thing I don't like about the stock engine clutch fan is the roaring noise it makes.

Gonna give this a try. It's certainly lighter than the stock fan and clutch combined. We'll see if the noise factor is different. These blades flatten out at higher rpms and maybe will be quieter in those instances. At idle they keep a steep pitch and move good air. >>> http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/1517/10002/-1

+1 for contour fans. I pulled mine out of a Cougar. I'll be running them to two separate OEM fan switches to control high and low fan. You can add a thrird relay to trigger AC high fan.

I had a flex fan in a previous mustang. That thing was loud.....sounded like a supercharger. I really had a guy follow my to a car wash and swore I had a supercharger....until I opened the hood.

Yeah I might wind up plumbing the trans cooler lines through the radiator and the aux cooler and running the Contour fans. I wonder what my current alternator is. Gonna go take some pics of it now.

That alternator is way too weak. 3g alternator is a must. The stock alternators also had an issue with burning up when they went bad.

That alternator is way too weak. 3g alternator is a must. The stock alternators also had an issue with burning up when they went bad.

3g a must for what? Electric fan setup ? A 75 amp stock alt is ok with a engine fan right? Still
got stock pulleys so there’s no underdrive.