Engine Cooling system Advice?

Another question I came across is the timing cover gasket. Do you guys think I should bother when I do the water pump? Came across it in some reading and almost want to do it while I’m there.

• Sponsors (?)

When the T-5 tailshaft bushing needed changed, my shop made the tool to go in after the seal was pulled, expand to hook on to the bushing and pulled it right out.
I swiped a pic of the type of tool from a youtube video. It also shows the general procedure. You do not need to hit your hand with the hammer.

View: https://youtu.be/4vAuDKDV-ok

Attachments

• 466ACCFC-2537-4224-9655-D039B76DC508.png
    466ACCFC-2537-4224-9655-D039B76DC508.png
    916.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is yours currently leaking?
I can’t exactly tell. Hoping once I get things out I can get a better look.

Currently have a few leaks I’m tracking down bc she’s old and sits in winter. Definitely seem I have to do the lower intake manifold gaskets. Not doing the rear main seal until I can pull everything out. Mainly concerned about that since I’m in there.

When the T-5 tailshaft bushing needed changed, my shop made the tool to go in after the seal was pulled, expand to hook on to the bushing and pulled it right out.
I swiped a pic of the type of tool from a youtube video. It also shows the general procedure. You do not need to hit your hand with the hammer.

View: https://youtu.be/4vAuDKDV-ok

7991LXnSHO,

Good vid. Might be easier than removing the housing which I was intending to do. Pending I can make the tool. Thanks guy

Decided to do the timing cover gasket while I’m in there. Also going to attempt the in car car oil pan gasket. Honest the front crank seal looks perfect after 30 years and I’m surprised. Main question is; I’ve done my homework but noticed the MarkVII Has the power steering pump bracket bolted to the studs on the water pump. Has anyone encountered this on their mustang? I have not been able to find a good write up on this in any searches, include MarkVII searches. Have a manual which I’ll double check but figured I’d ask you guys for some advice. Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you are talking about the big plate that bolt in tow or three places at the water pump then holds the power steering pump in two places? If so yeah. My mustang is like that. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Here is my OEM setup from when I first got my car. I took these as I tore down the engine so I would not forget where everything went.

Engine and trans were bolted together and on a pallet when I bought the car so all accessories were still in place.

20150404_184121.jpg 20150404_184134.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, that setup appears to be doing basically the same thing the bracket on my car does, but your's is setup different. If no one else chimes in with pics or helpful comments by this evening I'll take some better pics of my car. I've never messed with a Mark before. I'm just trying to help you see how this setup is on a V8 Fox.

When the main front plate is removed here is the remaining PS bracketry. Shown with the rear mount for the AC compressor. From my other pics I count 3 mounting holes coming off the water pump studs.

20150404_204715.jpg

Here is my OEM setup from when I first got my car. I took these as I tore down the engine so I would not forget where everything went.

Engine and trans were bolted together and on a pallet when I bought the car so all accessories were still in place.

20150404_184121.jpg 20150404_184134.jpg
Thanks for the pics KRUISER.
I ended up removing the PS pump completely and removed from the AC compressor which is currently suspended with a strap. There is no bracket like that on my car unfortunately. Definitely wish there was that’s for sure, wow that looks way easier. The power steering pump/ bracket is assembled to the pump and pulley. Whole thing had to come out to get the studs off the water pump. Seems you guys don’t have that on the stands unless later years. Bummed about that but it’s off now so I’m in for the long haul.

Have a manual I’ve had for 20 years and swear I was looking at it the other day too. Guess it grew legs can’t find it anywhere. Here’s a pic for both of you guys of the pump. 3 bolts hold it to the block and 2 attach the the longer water pump studs. Not the best pic.

Thanks again Olivethefet too

Attachments

• 20AA0A6B-4D87-4F75-8463-66F25D2B20F6.jpeg
    20AA0A6B-4D87-4F75-8463-66F25D2B20F6.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 91
  • BA831217-0F2E-4199-995F-41F59529351A.jpeg
    BA831217-0F2E-4199-995F-41F59529351A.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 87
I did mine about 6 months ago. Some of the bolts/studs are likely seized to the timing cover. The bolts/studs/nuts kit cost more than the timing cover.
No way?! Really... always the little things. I was looking at the kit too but didn’t look at the price. Planning to reuse the cover. Honestly all the bolts came out perfectly. Even torque. Guess I got lucky, that or bc the car has been garaged it’s whole life. I was seriously shocked.

Should I use black rtv or grey. Usually go with black. Not sure it makes a difference that much both solid. Also, held back on balancer when I removed the crank pulley. She moved a bit and I got it basically back to where it was. Anyone think this will be an issue?

Balancer movement is not a problem, if you are pulling the timing cover it will have to come off anyway, I would suggest replacing that gasket too, it likely will leak if you don't.
While you have the balancer in hand I would replace it.
I use anti seize on the bolts for the cover and pump, coat the entire length of the bolt.